Simple turkey question..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkorish

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 18, 2016
Obviously being turkey day tomorrow I'm doing a 14 lb turkey.
Can I put it right on the rack or should I put it in a pan?

Thanks...

Either. If you want the drippings to make gravy, put it in a pan. If you don't care about the drippings, on the grate is fine. A turkey that size will dump about a cup and a half of fat and drippings. You can also put it on the grate with a pan on the level below.

Reactions: jcam222
I’ll be doing mine directly on the rack with a pan of chicken broth and seasoning in a pan below it. The drippings, seasoned broth and smoke make for a nice dipping juice for the turkey.

I did one today, right on the grate. It's a matter of personal taste, but I like the extra flavor that comes from the juices dripping nto the heat shield, and enhancing the flavor and color of the turkey.
I make gravy from the neck, giblets and backbone.

I smoke or roast the neck with the turkey, then use the neck and giblets in soup later. I've got enough turkey fat and gelatin drippings from the pan to make 4 quarts of the most incredible gravy. Had a batch tonight over turkey and roasted potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic. Ended up licking the plate when no one was looking!

• Haha
Reactions: Kirk909
I just dropped a 25 pounder right on the rack... spatchcocked. Brined it in a citrus brine for almost 24 hours. It's on the uds right now over a basket of Royal oak and some cherry hunks. Smells good!

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky