Several questions on smoking cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Best way to store cheese is to vacuum seal it. Will last for ages. I do the same for meats, veggies, all sorts of things and they last so much longer. Best investment I've ever made and I didn't get one with all the bells & whistles.

last night, I cut the 2 blocks of cheese in half.  Then cold smoked them for an additional 1.5 hours.  I'm going to leave them in the fridge until Christmas.  I'll keep ya'll posted.

Great Answer

All I would add is if the ambient is less than 45°, I turn my MES to 100°, let it warm up, and then turn it off.  The residual heat will keep the internal temp of the smoker in the 70's.

You surely don't want to smoke cheese at 100°, but at temps under 45°, the cheese just does not seem to take on as much smoke
This also creates a draft through the smoker helping the AMNPS with the needed airflow. I found that if I set the MES timer for just 2-3 minutes, every hour or so, the air flow increases greatly and the dust/pellets burn more evenly.

I just cut into my re-smoked cheese tonight. Good god, it taste good! I'm still planning on letting it sit for another 2 weeks or so.  The cheddar cheese still didn't impress me but the colby jack is wonderful.

Can't wait to see it in 2 more weeks!  To follow!

Reactions: kryingame
Tonight, I cold smoked 2 bricks of Colby Jack and 1 brick of mozerella. It was about 50 degrees outside. I smoked for 4 hours using pitmaster and apple pellets.   Weird, one of the pieces of cheese started melting. It looked gross.  But going forward, I'll put some ice in with the cold smoke.

I'll see ya in a month.

I put frozen 1 liters on the top rack then the cheese cut in 1/2 lb
squares on the next rack down (I did 2 lb of cabot extra sharp white cheddar cut in quarters.) I actually smoked some milk that i added garlic to in a pan below that, then frozen 2 liter bottles on the next rack below that. Filled my water pan with ice. I put an internal temp probe in the piece on the back right as that is where my MES gets the hottest. I smoked for 2 1/2 hours and it was about 50* outside. My probe got to 78* at the highest I saw it. Took the cheese out and wrapped in in plastic wrap and then put it in a gallon ziploc bag in the bottom drawer of my refrigerator for 2 weeks to the day and it is amazing stuff. I hope yours works out, it is so worth it. I take a $7 block of cheese and turn it into something I would easily pay twice or three times that for.

Last edited:
Tonight, I cold smoked 2 bricks of Colby Jack and 1 brick of mozerella. It was about 50 degrees outside. I smoked for 4 hours using pitmaster and apple pellets.   Weird, one of the pieces of cheese started melting. It looked gross.  But going forward, I'll put some ice in with the cold smoke.

I'll see ya in a month.
Wow, I forgot about this posting.  The cheese is really good.  The did let the mozerella sit a bit longer to get a better flavor.  It took a while for it to get good. Next time, I'll use a milder pellet and less smoke time for the mozerella. 

The Colby Jack was dang good.  Heck, I might start selling smoked cheese on the highway and in parking lots. lol

Sure..if you can keep it cool enough. You really don't want it above 90* for the harder cheeses.  An AMNPS make easy work of holding the temps down. I like milder woods like maple or cherry.

Wow, I forgot about this posting.  The cheese is really good.  The did let the mozerella sit a bit longer to get a better flavor.  It took a while for it to get good. Next time, I'll use a milder pellet and less smoke time for the mozerella. 

The Colby Jack was dang good.  Heck, I might start selling smoked cheese on the highway and in parking lots. lol
Hey Kryinggame, try some peach and/or apple pellets. Although the cheese I've done has been really good with the pitmaster's choice, the peach was OMG good. Enjoy!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky