?Setting up drying chamber......WIFI temperature and humidity controllers?...or non WIFI?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Barefootdog

Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
Amazon has some very good promotions on Inkbird temperature and humidity controllers. Cyber Monday deals and 30% off coupons.
I think it's time to buy these items for my drying chamber build.

Question is....do I want (need?) WIFI equipped controllers?
Is there a functional purpose to it given the extended drying times involved.

Once the chamber is equipped and functional and working per instruction is there a functional benefit to WIFI controllers?

I want to pull the trigger on these today or tomorrow.

What do I need to know?

THX....

First off

What equipment do you have for dry cure?

More to this than just wifi controllers.

Will be using an older freezer for the chamber itself.

Using a Mars Hydro Seedling heating matt for heat.

Humidifier and de-humidifier will the the units recommended by 2 Guys and a Cooler in their YouTube video.

Pretty much following the 2 Guys video re setting up the chamber. Apparently its' functional and capable and will get me started.

The Inkbird units are on a good holiday sale and it's a good time to pick them up.
Is there realistic practicality to the WIFI capable units versus the set and forget style units....Do you really need to change settings from afar?....or is it just the satisfaction of being able to check on things from time to time?

FWIW my power has been very stable for the 40 years since I built this house so power outages are not a realistic concern.

I have, in house, 3.9 to 5.5 paper test strips. Meter will come later. Have additional freezer for meat and finished product storage. Have, in house, a high quality #32 grinder and a stand alone sausage stuffer. Molds and starter cultures are readily available and were recently on sale with free shipping. Given that they are date sensative I thought I would bring them in when the chamber was functional and tested.

That's where I am....

Last edited:
Ok an old freezer is a good start. You will need other equipment.

Toss the heat mat, it's just a contact mat, rarely does it radiate enough heat unless your product s sitting right on it, doing that could cook the contact bottom of the meat.

You will need knowledge of the use of cure 2, fermenting agents, ph meter.
Start small with 2 pounds or 2.2... Google wurst circle, he is German but speaks English. He uses cure 1 and told me they have a hard time getting cure 2. Cure 1 can be used. Follow his vids and move on from there.

Not trying to deter you just some info.
Get the book,

Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages.​

By Stanley Marianski

No worries. I was modifying my post when you replied. A number of the items you addressed were covered in my modified post.

Ok need to get a heater. Easy enough.
...I forgot...have to get a fan as well. Easy enough.

Have and am reading the yellow book, the green book and the 1001 recipe book.

This is getting done.

I dont use wifi. Not saying you cant, just personal preference for most.

inda will see this post. he is very versed on the equipment used. Im just getting back into it after a few years of not making.

You type faster than I do. LOL.
I'm modifying my posts as you reply....

I'm not deterred.....I'm retired with all the time necessary to do what I want...Life is good.

Appreciate the input. I have seen a number of your posts......

You type faster than I do. LOL.
I'm modifying my posts as you reply....

I'm not deterred.....I'm retired with all the time necessary to do what I want...Life is good.

Appreciate the input. I have seen a number of your posts......
Yup
Retired also. One of the fortunate ones to get the golden hand shake with 30 years at same company.

Went with the non WIFI units.

Great Cyber Monday deal. Package deal for temperature and humidity units.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LL4SNIE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

.....and...if I did it correctly I ordered through the forum link to get the forum a couple of shekels from the buy...so thats good.

The reviews said the WIFI will only work with some levels of WIFI and can be more difficult to use without the WIFI. Having been born in a prior age I find some of the modern tech to be a PITA....So I went with the non WIFI units at a great price. Dried meats have been produced for a number of years without WIFI....I should be able to get it done as well.

Everything is on site or ordered.
In a couple of weeks the drying chamber should be built and functional......

Last edited:
I wanted to reply earlier, but work went sideways. I have two sets of the non wifi, but I have a couple wifi govee hygrometer/thermometer units. Obviously I can only monitor temp and RH remotely, but I'm fine with it. That said I'd have to look at the price of the wifi units in relation to the cost of the two govee units... I would probably have the govees anyway as peace of mind so that puts the cost savings out the window.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky