Seasoning new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DIYerDave

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Lancaster County, Pa.
I finally had a chance to fire-up my new smoker for the first time. This was just a test run to see if everything worked ok and to season it. Coated the inside with bacon fat and non stick vegetable spray and ran it for 3 hours @ 275° with smoke. The Auber PID worked great. Smoke flow was perfect. The lower thermometer was a bit hotter than the upper one. I need to add a baffle or something to even out the temps. Once I get that figured out I'm ready to smoke some meat.

Attachments

• 20181111_153408.jpg
    20181111_153408.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20181111_153836.jpg
    20181111_153836.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 103
Thanks everyone for the compliments. If you search "Home-built electric smoker" you can see more of how I built it. It starts at post #23. I deviated from my original plan slightly. I went bigger in cabinet size and used a lower wattage heating element.

Both got the job done. I only used the cooking spray on the mesh shelves. Bacon fat everywhere else. Both worked but I liked the fat the best. The spray was messy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky