Sand/water/lava rock as thermal mass

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
I know this has been asked before but I've not seen it asked in reference to being used in a custom rf smoker.

If one wanted to stabilize and maintain consistent Temps inside the CC which media would you choose for a stick burning rf?

I used sand in a pan covered with foil. Now I use firebrick covered in foil. The brick is easier to clean after you are done cooking and I had numerous times where the sand got "wet" from cooking and had to throw it away and get more.

I used sand in a pan covered with foil. Now I use firebrick covered in foil. The brick is easier to clean after you are done cooking and I had numerous times where the sand got "wet" from cooking and had to throw it away and get more.
Does the fire brick perform as well as the sand?

Are you building a smoker or modifying an existing smoker?

My big smoker I put a plate from burner box to opposite side, put fire brick on that and build a drip pan to go above that with a spigot out the bottom of the smoker. It stabilized the temp perfectly but took WAY longer to heat up

Are you building a smoker or modifying an existing smoker?

My big smoker I put a plate from burner box to opposite side, put fire brick on that and build a drip pan to go above that with a spigot out the bottom of the smoker. It stabilized the temp perfectly but took WAY longer to heat up
I have built this smoker already. I was going to line the rf plate with some but it sounds like I don't want to add too many or it will never heat up.

Also this is for a long cook I have coming up. 4 brisket, 5 butts.

Last edited:
So how much of the reverse flow plate would you cover?

It will take 60 - 4.5 x 9 bricks to cover the entire plate.

Start with 30 to cover half?
Ringer,

think I would start with just ten to fifteen first. All the bricks are for is to help steady the heat. Also if you use too many it will take the smoker longer to heat up.

Ringer,

think I would start with just ten to fifteen first. All the bricks are for is to help steady the heat. Also if you use too many it will take the smoker longer to heat up.
So I have a really good friend that runs several funeral homes in my area. He gifted me 16 huge ceramic fire bricks leftover from his crematory build.

I have outlined my hot spots below in red. Where would be the best location for the fire brick? The Temps run 25-30 degrees hotter in the red areas.

Attachments

• 20210929_113545.jpg
    20210929_113545.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
So I have a really good friend that runs several funeral homes in my area. He gifted me 16 huge ceramic fire bricks leftover from his crematory build.

I have outlined my hot spots below in red. Where would be the best location for the fire brick? The Temps run 25-30 degrees hotter in the red areas.
I would put them over the hot spots first to try and dissipate the hot spots first. I placed them in my smoker to see what would happen as far as temp and also to get rid of the hot spots. no hot spots equals a better cook and less worry.

Reactions: Ringer
I would put them over the hot spots first to try and dissipate the hot spots first. I placed them in my smoker to see what would happen as far as temp and also to get rid of the hot spots. no hot spots equals a better cook and less worry.
I will do this first. I'm hoping the effect will be 2 fold: eliminating hot spots and holding gathered heat in the CC longer.

Well, tomorrow is d day. Of course it's supposed to t storm tomorrow afternoon...

I put empty pans on top of the foil wrapped bricks. The pans take up most of the room between the bricks and the grate now.

I did try to leave a little space between each pan so I hope It doesn't mess up the flow...

Well, tomorrow is d day. Of course it's supposed to t storm tomorrow afternoon...

I put empty pans on top of the foil wrapped bricks. The pans take up most of the room between the bricks and the grate now.

I did try to leave a little space between each pan so I hope It doesn't mess up the flow...

Any pics?

All on, brisket dropped at 1 eastern and butts at 2.

Temps should settle in at 275 which is a little hotter than normal but I'm ready for this bad boy to be over.

Don't get me wrong I love doing this or I wouldn't have put the time in to build a custom rig. I just have a ton going on and I committed to this month's ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky