Royal Oak Chef's Select?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Just so I'm clear, is RO Ridge 100% hardwood charcoal? 
Nope.  Never said that.  And there's a difference between "100% hardwood charcoal briquettes" and "100% natural briquettes."  There's no such thing as a naturally occurring briquette in nature.  Only hardwood lump is 100% hardwood charcoal. 

Trader Joes, for example, says 100% All Natural Hardwood Briquettes made from 100% hardwood.  What that means is they aren't mixing in non-hardwoods.  To make a manmade briquette, you need a binder.  Trader Joes uses cornstarch as a binder, and most likely water.  It is 98% hardwood char and 2% cornstarch.  Locally I can buy it for $5.99 for a 7 lb bag.  Too rich for my preferences.

Stubbs uses 95% hardwood char and 5% vegetable binder, and most likely water.  I haven't looked at the price recently so can't compare, but I remember it was outside what I was willing to pay considering I go through about 500 lbs a year.    

RO Ridge is 75-80% hardwood char, less than 15% limestone, less than 10% hardwood sawdust, and water.  No other chemical additives.  At 26 cents / lb on sale, lasting 140% longer than KBB, that's what I started using this past Memorial Day after using KBB for decades.  I did a test comparison between KBB and Ridge.  Look in the charcoal section if you haven't seen it.

I am still using up the last of my KBB, but I only use it in my Kettle, and only for grilling.  The current formula is pretty useless for a smoke longer than 10-12 hours.               

Edit:  my wife and I are sharing a car because my truck is in the shop for some major work.  There's a Cash & Carry close to downtown Sacramento, not too far from where she works, about a 40 minute drive.  I just might have to stop in and pick up a bag of Chef Select to do a side by side comparison to Ridge. 

Last edited:
Reactions: drum warrior
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky