Lump Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Redicans

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2023
Hawaii
I have tried a few different brands of lump charcoal that is available to me here in Hawaii. Royal Oak, Open Nature, and another I can’t remember the name of. Never seem to get a bag with uniform size. All have had major amounts of small discard as far as I am concerned. Not sure why but it doesn’t seem like we get premium lump here.

Just recently came across this and I must say I am very happy with the first bag. Time will tell if their quality is consistent. Plus it is local and sustainable so I am happy with that. Price was not bad either $25 for a 20lb bag. I paid $15 for a smaller bag of royal oak at Home Depot and it was basically all small chunks and I was disappointed with it.

IMG_4860.jpeg
IMG_4861.jpeg
IMG_4862.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great. I end up buying the bigger bags at our local Sam’s club. It is typically a product from Mexico, but it has large pieces to work with and I have been happy with it.
image.jpg

Looks great. I end up buying the bigger bags at our local Sam’s club. It is typically a product from Mexico, but it has large pieces to work with and I have been happy with it.View attachment 671343
How big is that bag and how much? May have to check Sams here. Don’t think I have seen lump at Costco here.

How big is that bag and how much? May have to check Sams here. Don’t think I have seen lump at Costco here.
It’s a 30 lbs bag and I think they were $22. Sam’s can certainly be a challenge for inventory, but a few years ago I found 50 lbs bags on clearance and bought enough for a couple years

Reactions: Redicans
It’s a 30 lbs bag and I think they were $22. Sam’s can certainly be a challenge for inventory, but a few years ago I found 50 lbs bags on clearance and bought enough for a couple years
Nice!! I would be happy to find a deal like that!!

I get more burn for my buck with lump (real lump) over briquettes.
RO sucks. I use the Frontier brand that chp chp featured.
Don't be afraid to break up the larger chunks in your local source.
Understanding the island price gouging, I think you are doing well.

I get more burn for my buck with lump (real lump) over briquettes.
RO sucks. I use the Frontier brand that chp chp featured.
Don't be afraid to break up the larger chunks in your local source.
Understanding the island price gouging, I think you are doing well.
Fueling Around,

Yeah I thought it was a good deal for the quality of the product I got. Yep always pay more out here.

I have noticed Royal Oak is getting smaller and smaller lately. I have had to put briquets on the bottom of the chimney so they don't just fall through. I have also noticed more and more rocks in the bag. Well, I never see them in the bag but they end up in the bottom of the pit after the cook.

I have noticed Royal Oak is getting smaller and smaller lately. I have had to put briquets on the bottom of the chimney so they don't just fall through. I have also noticed more and more rocks in the bag. Well, I never see them in the bag but they end up in the bottom of the pit after the cook.
I agree totally. Did a mod on my weber chimney because so much was falling through. It was super irritating!!

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
I like my own homemade charcoal. 90+% oak with some cherry and hickory. Easy to make if you have the time and wood.
That’s a fun idea. Can you please talk me through the details? Get everything burning well and then cut off the air is the general approach, but it looks like you have it dialed in.

chp: I have made charcoal as you have described with decent results. I now use a retort with much better outcomes. Simply put, there is a 20 gal trash can filled with wood inside a 55 gal drum with vent holes around the top and bottom. The trash can has 4 holes around the bottom and a tight fitting lid. After putting the trash can in the drum, wood is piled all around the can and on top all the way to the top. The wood is lit on top and after the fire is going good the the cover with a stove pipe is placed on top. Takes about 3-4 hrs to completely burn to the bottom. During the burn, the wood in the can is “cooked” in the absence of oxygen. Water vapor and wood gases are removed via the holes in the bottom of the can. When things are cooled down, the charcoal can be removed.

Attachments

• IMG_3111.jpeg
    IMG_3111.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3112.jpeg
    IMG_3112.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3115.jpeg
    IMG_3115.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 25
chp: I have made charcoal as you have described with decent results. I now use a retort with much better outcomes. Simply put, there is a 20 gal trash can filled with wood inside a 55 gal drum with vent holes around the top and bottom. The trash can has 4 holes around the bottom and a tight fitting lid. After putting the trash can in the drum, wood is piled all around the can and on top all the way to the top. The wood is lit on top and after the fire is going good the the cover with a stove pipe is placed on top. Takes about 3-4 hrs to completely burn to the bottom. During the burn, the wood in the can is “cooked” in the absence of oxygen. Water vapor and wood gases are removed via the holes in the bottom of the can. When things are cooled down, the charcoal can be removed.

That is super cool!! Never thought to make my own!!

Very nice setup. Thanks for the details.

I agree totally. Did a mod on my weber chimney because so much was falling through. It was super irritating!!

Since this I have also modded my chimney by placing 1/2" steel mesh on the bottom of it. It has worked well so far.

I also switched to Cowboy brand of lump charcoal. It is made from Hickory and Oak. I have gone thru half a bag and just bought a second one. The consistency is way better. I also bought a box of the Tumbleweed fire starters and am really impressed how well they work.

cowboy_lump_charcoal.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky