Ribeye roast suggestion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Hi everyone I was at meijer and saw these on sale. I think it’s prime rib? But not too sure haha. I was planning on doing it on the grill but not sure if the weather up here in northern Michigan is gonna let me. Might have to do it in the oven. I’ve never done one, can anyone give any tips, pointers or rub suggestions for it? Since the weather has been crappy I’ve had to resort to cooking inside and after living in Hawaii for the past 3 years my indoor cooking has been somewhat of an adjustment compared to using the grill everyday ( I’ve messed up pretty much every meal so far haha)

Attachments

• CC942713-CBEA-48B7-B0CD-E84A489C3426.jpeg
    CC942713-CBEA-48B7-B0CD-E84A489C3426.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 7449C7DA-B70F-404A-95D9-A12CCBB5D1F4.jpeg
    7449C7DA-B70F-404A-95D9-A12CCBB5D1F4.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: zwiller
In the oven this is how I do it, let it sit on counter for a couple hours to get it to room temp, add salt, pepper and some garlic. Pre heat oven to 500 put roast in uncovered for 45 minutes, then lower temp to 300 take out 10 degrees before your desired internal temp and let it rest for at least a half an hour. Slice and enjoy.

If cooking inside, you have two options, start low and finish high or start high and finish low. We have always done a start low amd finish high, very similar to what Alton Brown has done, see link, minus removing it from the oven between low and high heat.

Could probably do the same thing outdoor cooker, assuming your weather would allow it, but go indirect for the low temp, at thats my thought

Reactions: rockyballbuster
I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with Alton on this one... He says to remove from oven when target temp reaches 118`.. upon resting (covered) says the IT will raise to 130` ... NO WAY IN HELL will it rise that much... if any at all ...

Agree on that part, like I said we kinda follow suit to him, but exactly. We dont remove it from the oven and def not gonna rise that much in temp

I’ve used two indoor methods. The first is the rule of 5 method where you preheat to 500F and cook a certain amount of time based on weight then turn off oven and leave in another for another 2 hours. Comes out great. Just need to make sure nobody opens the oven and let’s out hear. The other method I’ve used is to sous vide the prime rib and then reverse sear. Both come out awesome.

Reactions: chilerelleno
I like low and slow even in the oven.
Richie

Reactions: civilsmoker
I like low and slow even in the oven.
Richie

Like My brother Richie, I like Low & Slow no matter where I make it, because I like the Med-Rare from Bark to Bark, All Pink All the way:

Take your Pick---They're all Step by Steps with all Tips included:
Smoked Prime Rib (47th Anniversary Dinner)
Smoked Prime Rib (49th Anniversary Dinner)
Smoked Prime Rib (First of 2017)
Smoked Prime Rib (Apple Smoke)
Smoked Prime Rib (New Best Ever)
Smoked Prime Rib (Another One)
Smoked Prime Rib (Great Stuff)
Smoked Prime Rib (Best Ever)

Bear

I been doing the Reverse Sear method below, in the Smoker or Oven, with great results. I get my Side Dishes done during the Rest and finish the Beef, Sear and serve...JJ

Smokey Au Jus
1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery
3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh),1/2tsp Dry
1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus, drag quickly across to take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

NOTE: If you are using this recipe with Brisket or a long smoke, additional Water will have to be added periodically to maintain the proper volume. Do not add more Broth as repeated addition and reduction will make the Au Jus too salty..

Reactions: whistlepig
I've done them both ways also, and liked it both ways also. For that price go get another one and do one each way...then let us know what you think.

Ryan

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with Alton on this one... He says to remove from oven when target temp reaches 118`.. upon resting (covered) says the IT will raise to 130` ... NO WAY IN HELL will it rise that much... if any at all ...

I think I’d go with JJ’s recipe, however I do think that Alton Browns recipe is a good one too. When you crank the oven up to 500. I think the resting part will surely bring the carryover cook up at least 10 degrees while resting. We like our PR rare & 120-125 is perfect for us. If we have guests & they like it med/rare, 30 seconds in the microwave will bring it up to med/rare. Also Bear has his step by steps for all of you with electric smokers & his Prime ribs are legendary.
Al

We've basically stopped doing them in the oven and now it's my job to do them on the smoker. They come out so much better. I basically follow Bearcarver Bearcarver s' way of doing them - except I tweak it for my WSM or kettle.

Chris

Reactions: civilsmoker
I’m a low and slow as well....225 till IT is 128- 130, rest, consume. If more bark is desired then 225 till IT 117 ish then rolled under the broiler till 125-130, rest consume!

I been doing the Reverse Sear method below, in the Smoker or Oven, with great results. I get my Side Dishes done during the Rest and finish the Beef, Sear and serve...JJ

Smokey Au Jus
1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1-2 ea Bayleaf

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus, drag quickly across to take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

NOTE: If you are using this recipe with Brisket or a long smoke, additional Water will have to be added periodically to maintain the proper volume. Do not add more Broth as repeated addition and reduction will make the Au Jus too salty..

Smokey Au Jus
1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1-2 ea Bayleaf

Chef JJ, thanks for the video and Au Jus recipe. I have tried the Au Jus recipe in the past. Well worthwhile. I have a couple of rib roasts in the freezer Meijer had on sale. One thawing for Friday. One video says to let the rib roast dry overnight and Alton Brown's video kind of contridicts by rubbing oil on his dry aged roast. Trying for a crust by reverse sear this weekend and looking for the best method. It will be smoked with cherry chunks. I have coated with thick wostershire sauce in the past and then marinated in a 2.5 gallon ziplock overnight. It's good this way but no crust.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
If cooking inside, you have two options, start low and finish high or start high and finish low. We have always done a start low amd finish high, very similar to what Alton Brown has done, see link, minus removing it from the oven between low and high heat.

Could probably do the same thing outdoor cooker, assuming your weather would allow it, but go indirect for the low temp, at thats my thought

Alton's method is spot on. Pull at no more than 118F if you want rare meat. Cover in foil, and store it in a cooler until guests arrive. Then sear it in the hi-temp oven 500-550 for 10 minutes. Be prepared to clear smoke during this phase, as it has set off the smoke alarms in the kitchen before.

Attachments

• -667177743_20171231_172659_2002680_resized.jpg
    -667177743_20171231_172659_2002680_resized.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 5502069_20171231_091601_1847446_resized.jpg
    5502069_20171231_091601_1847446_resized.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 275433065_20171231_091558_2055327_resized.jpg
    275433065_20171231_091558_2055327_resized.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky