Reverse searing a ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
Wanting a little advice on reverse searing ribeye(s) because I have only tried this once and think I could do better the next time with the excellent advice here. I am thinking of smoking in the MES30 until internal of 210 degrees and then searing it on a hot gas grill until medium rare temperature. If this sounds correct at what temp should the gas grill be for the searing? Like maybe wide open at 500 degrees?

Reactions: kruizer

Attachments

• cooking_temps_chart-0013.jpg
    cooking_temps_chart-0013.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 107
My recommendation would be to do a 30 minute heavy cold smoke (150 ish) then sear it on the bbq. For me a proper ribeye should be 1.5 inches thick then I sear them on 625 (surface temp) grill grates (350 degree air temp).... 4min, turn, 3min, turn 45deg, 2.5min, turn, 2.5min, then rest 5-7 min on a elevated rack. Check with IR, for time adjustments and pull at 125-130deg!

Reactions: whistlepig
I smoke them on my pellet grill for one hour at 200 degrees. Pull them and crank up the heat and sear on Grillgrates for a couple minutes per side. This is the only way I’ll cook steaks.

Attachments

• A7BD2F8C-DE63-4A4E-A91A-A861F643D27C.jpeg
    A7BD2F8C-DE63-4A4E-A91A-A861F643D27C.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 80A68492-10F9-464C-B8C1-AE2512200F15.jpeg
    80A68492-10F9-464C-B8C1-AE2512200F15.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 53
I use my Camp Chef Woodwind for smoking and let the steak come up to 105 and then use the 900 degree searbox for 2 minutes on each side for grill marks and finish temp at 120 to 125. Perfection!!

I follow the exact same process. Sometimes I'll sous vide and then sear in cast iron with butter and oil inside. Have to say that smoker/sear box combo has been fantastic these last few months with the Woodwind.

About 20 years ago, Chris Finney was posting about the reverse sear on a couple of BBQ forums I hung out on and called it the FINNEY METHOD. Normally, everyone was searing first over a very hot fire, but that was sometimes hard to control the steak's internal. The Finney method recommends getting within 5° of your target, which is fine (but a little close).... and later most folks started using 100° internal as their internal stopping point, then removing the steak to rest 15 minutes while the grill comes up to a higher temp for the end sear. Good luck. For a different option, I'll get my steak up to 100°, then put a cast iron griddle on the grill as it comes up to temp. A griddle sear is a change of pace and allows you to add butter or some aromatics.

I was given the Searzall propane torch attachment as a Christmas gift and have found that it produces a much more professional sear than does a cast iron skillet or gas grill.

SEARZALL Stainless Steel Culinary Torch Attachment

It was more money ($70) than I wanted to pay for something like this, but if you have family members that will chip in and get it for you, then make sure to ask for it for your next birthday or holiday.

I like it because it gives a much more even sear than a cast iron pan, and it doesn't change the doneness the way trying to reverse sear on the grill often does, especially if your gas grill doesn't have a special sear feature.

I also like it because you can easily sear the edges of a nice, thick steak, something the pan and grill don't do without a lot of extra work.

It takes 1-2 minutes per steak, so it isn't instant. I used it on some sous vide steaks which, obviously, have no sear whatsoever, and it took 2-3 minutes per steak. For steaks done in a more conventional manner, it takes only about a minute per steak to "kick it up a notch." I really like the fact that you can get a sear that has a crust, something I remember from my few visits to Kansas City and NYC high-end steak houses.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky