Ref; Salmon. Smoking it..hopefully?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
So I got 5 lbs of Keta Salmon for a good price, and I want to do 2 pounds of it smoked, because smoked salmon is always good. I figured I'd smoke it sunday, easy peasy.

Except I didn't realize there is two methods for this; just hot smoked..or brined and then smoked. These are not huge whole pieces, but are fillets that are boneless and individually sealed..and to be completely honest, I'd be struggling to fight some thing that holds a gallon of brine+the salmon into the fridge!

So if I don't do the brine because honestly not sure I can space wise with out waiting another 2 weeks or so for other things to finish up curing, how do I get the smoked fish? I've seen people smoke salmon at 170f and treat it like a salmon steak for dinner. I was hoping to get proper smoked fish, like that peels away from the skin and you eat as a snack..or whip into cream cheese etc for a spread.

In short.. Help!

Just do a dry brine - it doesn't take up any more space than the salmon and is simple and easy. Just search this forum for some simple recipes.

Just do a dry brine - it doesn't take up any more space than the salmon and is simple and easy. Just search this forum for some simple recipes.
Oh, good point. Panic mode disengaged...lol.

For some reason my standard method is 'Wait till 1 AM, then try to figure out the proper method and spend till 4 AM worrying or thinking of ideas'

Been to GFS eh? I'll be smoking a bunch of those filets next weekend, along with some other salmon that has been waiting in the freezer.

When I get store-bought, farm-raised salmon (steelhead trout), I just season it with SPG or better yet, Chef Paul Prudhomme Magic Salmon Seasoning (I use a lot of this seasoning...DELICIOUS!) about 15-30 minutes before popping it in the smoker. Depending on how thick the filet is...done in an hour or so.

Side note - I also fold under any thin parts of the filet so it smokes more evenly.

I haven't even opened the bag of these yet. Probably should have...and I was leaning towards just a dashing of rub. As Eddie seems to favour.
Been to GFS eh? I'll be smoking a bunch of those filets next weekend, along with some other salmon that has been waiting in the freezer.
I couldn't pass this up you know? We like our grilled salmon and for 5 bucks a pound it was cheaper then alot of pot roast has been!

TKRVF, Check out Bears "step by step" page he has a quick brine for salmon that sounds good .
I right now actually lack room for liquid curing. After smoking cheese, bagging cheese and putting it in the project fridge to age..I had to remove some of my medicine and move it downstairs even. LOL

You will want to brine the salmon. We use about two qts water, with 1 1/2 c brown sugar, and a 1/2 c salt. Put in a zip lock baggie, let brine over nite, or 24 hours.

You will want to brine the salmon. We use about two qts water, with 1 1/2 c brown sugar, and a 1/2 c salt. Put in a zip lock baggie, let brine over nite, or 24 hours.
I'm going to have to pull the salmon out today, ended up not feeling so great last night and just crashed out early. Might as well try to find room to brine it. Does this method produce the more dry stuff, or still moist? If I want to add zing to it, do I just pepper it before smoking?

Also would you use this for hot smoking? I was planning to hot smoke it.

I'm going to have to pull the salmon out today, ended up not feeling so great last night and just crashed out early. Might as well try to find room to brine it. Does this method produce the more dry stuff, or still moist? If I want to add zing to it, do I just pepper it before smoking?

Also would you use this for hot smoking? I was planning to hot smoke it.

Yes, I "hot smoke" at around 180 to 200. This will produce a nice moist, and flaky smoked fillet. After brining, allow the fish to dry a bit on a cooling rack.

Yes, I "hot smoke" at around 180 to 200. This will produce a nice moist, and flaky smoked fillet. After brining, allow the fish to dry a bit on a cooling rack.
Finished temp is what, 150f? Sorry, I never overly looked into smoked fish since we don't fish, but I do like smoked salmon.. LOL

Finished temp is what, 150f? Sorry, I never overly looked into smoked fish since we don't fish, but I do like smoked salmon.. LOL

Not sure, exactly. But I always do a four hour smoke. You could get by with less, however. I never checked the internal temp, but all of my neighbors scarfed it up so I know it was good!

Not sure, exactly. But I always do a four hour smoke. You could get by with less, however. I never checked the internal temp, but all of my neighbors scarfed it up so I know it was good!
Well after 4 hours Salmon would definitely be on the safe side I'd think. I'll have to get this done sooner then later.

Reactions: txflyguy
I got them in brine for an overnight now. Had to play Jenga in the fridge, but they got there.

If I want some spicy do I just nail them with a pinch of cayenne or some thing before smoking? I was thinking cayenne would be good for make them into a spread.

I shoot for an IT of 150 to 160 for smoked salmon. I also like to start at a fairly low smoker temp and gradually ramp up the temp as time goes along. Bearcarver's step by step smoked salmon recipe has good info. Here is Bear's recommendation:
Keep smoker at 100* for about one hour.
One hour later, bump temp up to 120*--------My internal is about 76*
One half hour later, bump to 140*--------------My internal is about 98*
One half hour later, bump to 160*--------------My internal is about 113*
One half hour later, bump to 180*--------------My internal is about 124*
One hour later, bump to 200*-------------------My internal is about 134*

Remove pieces as they go above 145* internal.
How long this takes doesn't matter, just so they go over 145*.
Some of mine have gone up to over 160*, and it didn't hurt.
If you have to, you can bump your smoker up to 200*, but no higher.

I shoot for an IT of 150 to 160 for smoked salmon. I also like to start at a fairly low smoker temp and gradually ramp up the temp as time goes along. Bearcarver's step by step smoked salmon recipe has good info. Here is Bear's recommendation:
Keep smoker at 100* for about one hour.
One hour later, bump temp up to 120*--------My internal is about 76*
One half hour later, bump to 140*--------------My internal is about 98*
One half hour later, bump to 160*--------------My internal is about 113*
One half hour later, bump to 180*--------------My internal is about 124*
One hour later, bump to 200*-------------------My internal is about 134*

Remove pieces as they go above 145* internal.
How long this takes doesn't matter, just so they go over 145*.
Some of mine have gone up to over 160*, and it didn't hurt.
If you have to, you can bump your smoker up to 200*, but no higher.

That is good detailed advice.
I just do a 4 hour smoke, at 200 degrees (+/-). Always turned out very good.

Ayep, I had seen Bear's as well, didn't know if the temperature plan carried over into other things. His brine is far more complex then what I did..water..sugar..salt. Lol.

So I'm going to say this qualifies as a failure. It was hard to get a good IT on these things and I definitely feel I wicked ended up over doing them.

Still tastes good, and given I want to make it into a spread..well. Bit sweet, but some good dashes of pepper will take care of that.

Oh and yes, half of one is missing. I might have had to sample.

Attachments

• 20180926_182323.jpg
    20180926_182323.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 30
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky