Ref; Injecting Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Alright, I went to pull some frozen Pulled Pig out for the dinner and I'm almost out. <And I have no idea how to be fair!> Looks like I got maybe 3-4 pounds of my Kalua pork left and thats it. So it's time for another pork butt to restock..

Now I have -never- really injected meat, unless shoving things inside a chicken counts, but I was thinking of swinging over to fleet farm when I go out shopping to snag 5 dollar injector needle or one of those marinades that comes with an injector.

My question is... is injecting pulled pork worth it? I mean I've seen the dr pepper injected pulled pork etc. Keep in mind, I liberally apply rub to meat, and I can't taste the rub, it to me is just a way to make a good bark. So I'm wondering if Injecting would let me taste flavours better.

But I also don't want to go and make up a batch of some marinade and it ends up wasted if pulled pork doesn't really carry the flavours.

I have done them both ways. Maybe it's just in my mind, but I like the injected version better. I'd say give it a shot and see if you like it. I use Chris Lilley's injection recipe. I also just grab an 88 cent disposable injector from Walmart so it comes out cheap. The injection is as follows

3/4 cup of apple juice

1/2 cup of water

1/2 cup of salt

1/4 cup of sugar

2 tablespoons of Worcestershire

Just mix it up to dissolve the sugar and salt and then inject. I used this to make pulled pork on Wednesday for a party and everyone really seemed to like it.

I'd like to know as well. I have only injected chicken so far, with a mix of melted butter and chicken stock. I'm not sure it made much difference. I'm wondering if the injection gets squeezed out as the meat firms up from cooking. If that's the case, I'd go with only butter, spices, herbs or minced garlic which can't be "exuded" as easily. I'm thinking I'll try something like that next time, maybe with some liquid to thin out the butter.

I am hoping the solution to my inability to taste rubs is injections. I'd like to impart spicy garlic etc to pulled pork and so on.

I've never tried injecting pulled pork until I tried it using Jeff's recipe for cherry Dr. Pepper pulled pork. It has been the most flavorful pulled pork I've ever made. So I'd recommend both. An injection and rub. Mop it as well after you have applied some good smoke to it, to keep it from drying out.

I think you will like the results. Also apply the rub liberally. I've heard on here that you really can't overseason pulled pork. So I have been going heavy on the rub. And have yet to have it turn out overpowering.

Jeff's Dr Pepper Pulled Pork is why I want to get an injector. That or root beer. I always think root beer would go with pork. Then again I love root beer in general :)

Ya'all I got bored and made a strawpoll

Now I'll just let other people decide on the next pork butt LOL

I haven't injected yet(I might try it someday). I happen to like the taste of PP by itself. On the occasions that I want to mix it up a bit I'll add a sauce to the PP before eating.

Chris

I have done it with & without, and with the injection is my favorite.
There are a hundred injection recipes for PP.
But I like Tony C's butter & jalapeno marinade.
Walmart usually carries it down here.
Al

I plan to at least get the injector needle to have on hand. Fleet Farm carries several injectable marinades with the needle too. One I remember off hand is Cajun Injector brand. Hopefully I can get out today and get what I need and get the butt going tonight to pull off sunday.

Any one here use diet soda? I normally just get diet soda being diabetic and all. Wondering how much it'll impact the taste.

From everything I've read you want to use a non diet soda. The sweetness ads more flavor to the meat. Something like that anyway. They don't recommend using diet soda.

Tony C's butter injections come with an injector. From what I have seen. So if you go that route, you will be good to go and have an injector for future use.

I ended up with a Norpro meat injector, about 15 bucks, since I couldn't find the cheaper ones any where. Probably hidden in some dark corner...

Also I got diet root beer. I couldn't find like a single can, and no one else in my household much drinks normal soda either. I figured a 1litre bottle of Dad's diet root beer shall suffice..

And I got a garlic creole thing by Cajun Injector, gonna do one pork butt with the creole garlic, the other with root beer and sweet heat dry rub on it. Not decided what rub to put on the garlic creole injected one.

I ended up with a Norpro meat injector, about 15 bucks, since I couldn't find the cheaper ones any where. Probably hidden in some dark corner...

Also I got diet root beer. I couldn't find like a single can, and no one else in my household much drinks normal soda either. I figured a 1litre bottle of Dad's diet root beer shall suffice..

And I got a garlic creole thing by Cajun Injector, gonna do one pork butt with the creole garlic, the other with root beer and sweet heat dry rub on it. Not decided what rub to put on the garlic creole injected one.

For the record, I voted for the cherry Dr pepper and sweet heat and, I either hit the wrong button or the poll recorded it wrong because it told me I voted root beer/sweet heat...lol. I can, maybe, get down with the sound of the cherry/heat but can't imagine the root beer/heat combo. I hope you're root beer and sweet heat works out though!

For the record, I voted for the cherry Dr pepper and sweet heat and, I either hit the wrong button or the poll recorded it wrong because it told me I voted root beer/sweet heat...lol. I can, maybe, get down with the sound of the cherry/heat but can't imagine the root beer/heat combo. I hope you're root beer and sweet heat works out though!
Started a new thread, got two butts in over night now...I always seem to just never do things in a moderate manner.. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky