Recteq 1250 with first self trimmed brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you for all the advice. When taken out for wrap, i was expecting it to have juice coming out when the probe was put in. My fear is i made a dry brisket...

Now its wrapped and in at 255. The pic is internal temp from being at 180 grill temp (so ignore 255 as that was just set). Im used to 6 hour smokes where i constantly tend a small fire (chargriller flavor pro, using wood chunks), so i see its constantly leaking juices. This came out dry on the outside.

Ringer Ringer Of the youtubers that i saw, they all did around 180 to 225 depending on the unit. One specifically did the recteq 700 at 180 (xtreme smoke). I thought of slow cook and food born disease, but assumed the final cook at 255 would take care of this issue.
View attachment 629533View attachment 629534
It's probably fine, but there are others on here that are much more versed in the food safety issue. I was mainly speaking to the brisket being more forgiving to higher temps. I just usually go higher at the end for sake of time.

it’s not dry just not rendered, it takes a temp of about 215 to get fat and collagen to render hence the 225 being the low.... it also helps with bark creation. Just for a frame of reference it will take a whole brisket like that one about 6 hours to hit 160 - 165 and about a second 6 hours to hit 200ish once wrapped at 225. The 255 will get it done but you won’t have any more bark.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out? FYI if you saved any of the trimmed fat, cut it into some small cubes and render it down in a CI pan. Then once you slice it just drizzle a “little bit” of it over the slices on the cutting board before you serve....you will thank me later....

Last edited:
Thabks. I
it’s not dry just not rendered, it takes a temp of about 215 to get fat and collagen to render hence the 225 being the low.... it also helps with bark creation. Just for a frame of reference it will take a whole brisket like that one about 6 hours to hit 160 - 165 and about a second 6 hours to hit 200ish once wrapped at 225. The 255 will get it done but you won’t have any more bark.

Good luck ams let us know how it turns out? FYI if you saved any of the tinned fat, cut it into some small cubes and render it down in a CI pan. Then once you slice it just drizzle a “little bit” of it over the slices on the cutting board before you serve....you will thank me later....
Was planning on doing that by throwing it in disposable tin. How long to render bits of fat? I was gonna do it after putting brisket in cooler.

Will def show pics of every stage :)

Render the pieces down till thy start to brown, you don’t want them to burn. Do then in a CI pan if you have one, you can just put it in the smoker next to the brisket in the pan as well.

Reactions: Furby076
Nice new rig for sure. I do all mine 180 for 1-2 hours then 275 till tender. I stopped the 225 madness/slowness and am much happier to have the time back and no more overnighters. Ive done some on a WSM, but they make me nervous....as in fires. I have never had one, but I have read about them - it can happen even on a pellet grill, one little misplacement and youve got grease in the bottom. I have done the misplacement - but no fire.

Also, sounds like in future i should start at 225 overnight. That sound right?

So is ultra smoke just for first hour or so?

F Furby076 , I just think you are much braver than I . Not knowing how the temps react in a new smoker would scare me. I would have liked to have a couple cooks under my belt before overnight.
Sounds like the guys got ya covered. Waiting to see results. Happy Easter. . .

For an over night you can super smoke for hour. Put it on at 11pm then At 12 bump up to 225, wrap (add some rendered fat) at 6am then @ 12 in the house oven @155 till dinner.... or a late lunch.....

This how the local smoke house does all theirs and they do a whole bunch!

So I do most of mine @ 275 but experimenting @ 260.... I put mine on in the morning have have them for dinner......I wrap at 165

Last edited:
I put a small packer on about an hour ago . Running in smoke boost for 3 or 4 hours , then I'll slowly bump it up to 260 and see what it wants after that . Wrap in pink paper at 165 ish . Then to the oven to hold or finish up .
I bump the temp slowly because on mine it seems to add to the smoke flavor and appearance .

Thank you for all the advice. When taken out for wrap, i was expecting it to have juice coming out when the probe was put in. My fear is i made a dry brisket...

Now its wrapped and in at 255. The pic is internal temp from being at 180 grill temp (so ignore 255 as that was just set). Im used to 6 hour smokes where i constantly tend a small fire (chargriller flavor pro, using wood chunks), so i see its constantly leaking juices. This came out dry on the outside.

Ringer Ringer Of the youtubers that i saw, they all did around 180 to 225 depending on the unit. One specifically did the recteq 700 at 180 (xtreme smoke). I thought of slow cook and food born disease, but assumed the final cook at 255 would take care of this issue.
View attachment 629533View attachment 629534
The hardest part for me was learning to trust the process. Don't rush it and make sure it's probe tender all over. The good folks here have kept me in the right direction many times!

Keith

Keith

Reactions: Furby076
Smoker has been at 255 since 8am, an hour ago to 270...sheesh is it stalled lol id like to rest it for 4 hours, but will probably be 2 hours. Lesson for next time, super smoke (180) 2 hours, then 225 overnight. And 255 at 8am
Screenshot_20220417-144834_recteq.jpg

Yay. Its wrapped and in the cooler. A piece of the bark peeled off (NW Corner). So ate it...and its peppery good.

next update in about 2 hours when we eat
20220417_174620.jpg
20220417_175708.jpg

Reactions: 912smoker
Thank you for coming on my journey. Two things I would change
1) less salt. I used 2 parts pepperz 1 part kosher salt and 1/2 part garlic. Its a tiny bit too salty
2) if i dont have time, thrn do the 180 super smoke for 2 hours and then 225 overnight and 255 day. But if i have time, i will do todays version. Next time im trying the 225 overnight.

Now, the results
1) fat rendered test....pass
2) jiggle test....oh it jiggled
3) juicy test...all i can say...no tallow needed
4) tenderness...im cutting it with my fork
5) taste test....oh yea

Success with a lot of worry!

Thank you all again for your words of wisdom and support
20220417_194601.jpg
20220417_194712.jpg
20220417_194758.jpg
20220417_194952.jpg
20220417_195023.jpg
20220417_195045.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky