Real happy with the new Weber Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

louisvillesmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
Smoking noob here. Got a charcoal vertical smoker about two years ago and did about 8 smokes on that over the years. Got a kettle since I realized it was basically a grillmaster right of passage to own one. Did my first smoke on it this weekend and man was I happy with how easy it was to manage temps and with how efficient it was with fuel (those two go hand in hand I think).

Cooked a rack of spare ribs using about 90 briquettes and 10 chucks of hickory for 6 hours and there was still about 1/4 of the charcoal left. I could easily see that going 8-10 hours if needed. Temps were stable between 225-275 with a vent adjustment every 45 minutes or so. I should have that up to two hours or so with continued experience. Used firebrick as the divider. I know this is nothing compared to the 16-20 hours I've heard you can get on the WSM, but I'll take it.

20190727_092340.jpg
20190727_190645.jpg
20190727_191242.jpg

You can never go wrong with a kettle. Mine get used way more then my WSM. Ribs look really good to me.

Point for sure
Chris

You done real good.

Previously used the kettle only as a grill.
Now my go to for smoking small batches.
Learned the versatility for indirect and as a smoker from here and other websites.

Look into snake method. I've had better luck controlling my temps versus the Minion (dump a pile) method.

Get a cheap grate from Wally world and cut it to 2/3 or so.
Lots of room for your meat and for the fuel side.

I just got a Weber Kettle myself. I cooked a couple batches of chicken wings to get it "seasoned" a bit, and did my first smoke this weekend of a 2lb pork butt. I did the snake method but only went around 50% of the kettle. I got it to smoke for 6 hours at 245 Fahrenheit. For a first smoke I thought that was pretty good! It took another 12 coals or so to get another 45 minutes of smoke and to get the meat up to 190 degrees. I think next time I'll go 75% around the kettle and take the meat up to 192. My temps dropped like crazy the last hour and I wasn't able to get it higher than 190. Still pulled at tasted great! I should have gotten the Kettle years ago. I too was using an older vertical smoker (brinkmann model)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky