Quick question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NamVetJoe

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Naples Fl
I will start my second foray into smoking two spatchcock chickens. The first time I did breast up. I have seen some say breast down. What says you, experts. Thanks
Joe

If ya run 'em, breasts up, don't want to loose all that goodness on the skin.

it's normal for me to do them breast up, they rest flatter that way. Or whole upright if making a been can chicken like thing.

Reactions: NamVetJoe
Hi Joe,
I can only speak from experience with Air Frying skin-on chicken thighs. I put them in skin side down once.
The skin was nice and crispy and stuck to the pan. :mad:
So I learned to do the skin side up first... :rolleyes:

One of my earlier triumphs was to smoke my chicken thighs for a couple of hours, then finish in the Air Fryer to get smokie crispy chicken. ;)

So my vote is for breast up.o_O

Reactions: NamVetJoe
Do one up and one down - then you'll know if there is any meaningful difference.

Thanks I will actually do one breast side up and one down and post any discernable difference

Well, smoking is done. My first attempt was a 75% good chicken not as much smoke as I would have liked I started smoking 4:30. 260 degrees. After one hour I added another woodchuck. 6:30 my chicken temp was 158. At 7 pm I added a small chuck. AND I WAITED AND WAITED. By all that is holy smoke gods please let that chicken temp rise.Do I crank the sucker up to 500 degrees and get my chicken to 170.I wait and wait. 7:50 pm and I'm at 163. That's it I'm taken those suckers off. Great chicken moist and tender. Still would like some more smoke but that's just me. Today I give myself an 85. The one on the left is breast side down on the right up. I was going to crisp the skin on my grill but decided to try them as is.

Last edited:
IMG_1536.JPG

@smokingal. No discernable difference in juiciness or tenderness BUT the one smoked breast side down was more seasoned simply because I was able to get more seasoning on the meat that way I did not use a binding agent on the underside of the one I did breast up hence could only really season under the skin. i hope that makes some sort of sense

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky