questions regarding a electric smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

juan morkast

Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
i have a dead bar fridge i would like to convert to an electric smoker

my "fear"  is the off gassing of the materials

the fridge is a foam insulated type, 

is there any issues in using  it ?

do i need to replace the gaskets to a fire place type gasket or can i keep the original gasket?

i would like to know this before investing any time into it

bucket of thanks 

bob

Is it a plastic interior fridge or is it stainless? If it is an all stainless fridge (inside and out) you can make it work but the fridge builds I have seen seem to be a lot of work. 

Hot smoke or cold smoke?

Heating element rating (watts)

Heating element placement

All of the above will play into the grand plan...  

My thoughts; plastic interior needs to go away along with the insulation behind it.  Why?  Because it is an unknown material and there are no guarantees about what it will do when heated up.

Give us some pics, details, and what you want to do with the unit and we'll help as much as possible.

Hi All

the fridge is an aluminium interior type.( same as the little chief smokers)  glass front , i will try and post a pic but to to my "limited" computer skills , might be  in a long while. 

the elements are 240 volt/ 1500 watt stove type wired to 120v, giving me 750 watts (My guess)

the insulation is the spray foam type, approx 1.5 inches thick

i will be placing the elements on the bottom of the unit, i will have a thermostat to control my temp.

i am more concerned with the foam  insulation, at what temp will it leach out?

i will only be smoking  to a max of 275

thanks for the responces

bob

I would not smoke at 275 with the original insulation still in place.
I agree.  Some spray type foams will contain some nasty toxins that come out in a vapor form when heated to a specific temperature.  Since you don't know what the constituents are in the foam insulation, you need to assume that it's the bad stuff and either remove it from the unit, or opt to not use that unit for a smoker.

If you opt to remove the foam, keep in mind that when grinding or abrading the foam material, you still run a risk of vapors off gassing if the magic temperature is reached.  Also protect yourself from dust when removing.  Do it in a well ventilated area and use a dust mask for the dust protection.

Not trying to discourage you from the build, but sickness or death for a little BBQ just isn't worth the risk.

so my plans for a McGyvered electric smoker has been put into bin 13. crap was looking forward in the build 

thanks for the input

bob

I hope you realize that I'm not trying to discourage your build, I and others are just looking out for your health and well being.

There are probably ways to make this build happen.

Some pictures inside and out showing what you have will help a lot.  Chances are, someone here has done one like it before.

all advice is good advice, i would rather be more cauteous then gung ho on the build. 

the foam was my only concern and still is

thanks

i will do more research before i am ready to cook, but it looks like i will be scraping the project 

all advice is good advice, i would rather be more cauteous then gung ho on the build. 

the foam was my only concern and still is

thanks

i will do more research before i am ready to cook, but it looks like i will be scraping the project 
You might be able to find someone who wants a kegerator and will trade you for an older one that has fiberglass insulation. The more modern a fridge is, the less suitable it seems for hot smoking. There's a forum here for fridge conversions in the equipment section.

thanks, found another bar fridge that does not have the foam insulation, will start it in a wk or two

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky