Questions for RecTeq owners: Final MAK UPDATE, it's ALIVE!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No, I haven't given up on the MAK yet. Still holding out they will come up with a way to free up that auger. We'll see this coming week.
Seems like they'd just make a new auger assembly available to get you going again.

Reactions: chopsaw
Seems like they'd just make a new auger assembly available to get you going again.
Wish it was that simple Doug. The motor auger assembly is frozen tight with in the smoker. Pellets got wet, turned back into sawdust then hardened like cement trapping the auger in place. Access to the auger is extremely limited to only a few inches where the pellets drop in and then at the other end where they drop into the firepot there is about 12" from the end of the auger tube to the far wall. No access in between those two points.

Reactions: DougE
Wish it was that simple Doug. The motor auger assembly is frozen tight with in the smoker. Pellets got wet, turned back into sawdust then hardened like cement trapping the auger in place. Access to the auger is extremely limited to only a few inches where the pellets drop in and then at the other end where they drop into the firepot there is about 12" from the end of the auger tube to the far wall. No access in between those two points.
I mean the whole shebang ........ hopper, motor, auger tube .... the whole assembly so you can just drop your controller into it.

Reactions: schlotz
Not sure how you it is configured and you have access, but have you tried accessing the shaft between the motor and the auger and turn it with a pliers?

A last gasp option would be to get a torch and set dust on fire in the auger.

Not sure how you it is configured and you have access, but have you tried accessing the shaft between the motor and the auger and turn it with a pliers?

A last gasp option would be to get a torch and set dust on fire in the auger.
No access to the shaft between the motor and auger. Only access is a few inches where the pellets engage with the auger. Everything is riveted so no screws to disassemble. Whole unit is that way except for the legs and warming box on the other end. You can see the other end with the motor from the access panel where the circuit board is. I could put a torch to this section of the auger but really doubt it will do much good. There is at least 10" more of auger you can't see but I suspect is also solidified in pellet cement. BTW, you have to pull on the motor itself to slide the whole assembly out.

IMG_0310.JPG

If the darn thing would have been manufactured with screws I could have easily got to the connection of the motor and auger but no chance of that. Really don't see drilling out more than 25 rivets is an option, not to mention the re-attachment and aligning issue that would have to follow.

Really don't see drilling out more than 25 rivets is an option, not to mention the re-attachment and aligning issue that would have to follow.
That is exactly what I would do as a last resort. They assembled it and it can be reassembled same as they did it.

Reactions: Nefarious
Ooo boy a riveting party. Guess I could learn, but sure not anxious to.

Ooo boy a riveting party. Guess I could learn, but sure not anxious to.
If you can get at both sides you can bolt it back together, but I'm guessing it is riveted because you can't. so just put it back together like they did.

Pellets got wet, turned back into sawdust then hardened like cement trapping the auger in place
Different thing , but I had a free choice feeder that had pellet deer chow in it . Long story short , the pellets in the bottom got wet , broke down and then dried . Like you say ,, concrete . It's unbelievable how hard that stuff was .

Anyway . I looked at this when you first posted . Didn't link it because I figured you would have seen it through tech support . If you haven't here it is .

Yup seen this and have worked it along with help from MAK over the phone. Auger will not back out.

If you can get at both sides you can bolt it back together, but I'm guessing it is riveted because you can't. so just put it back together like they did.
Guess with larger rivets too.

Yep, if taken apart, put back together with self tapers
Right . Most of those rivets are 1/8" . So if you use the screw to just drill the head off , push the body out with something , the hole is the correct size for the screws . If you drill all the way though at first the hole will be to big .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky