Questions about door trim

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Flash431

Original poster
Sep 13, 2023
Hey y’all. I’m building a 120 offset right now. Getting my inspiration from the Fatstack 120. Going to cut the doors this weekend and was wondering if y’all have any opinions on using 1/8 in. Vs 1/4 in. Strips for that. Also how worried should I be about the door distorting when I weld the strips on? Do I need to stitch weld or can I weld the whole thing in one go. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpeg
    IMG_2509.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2515.jpeg
    IMG_2515.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 19
Hey y’all. I’m building a 120 offset right now. Getting my inspiration from the Fatstack 120. Going to cut the doors this weekend and was wondering if y’all have any opinions on using 1/8 in. Vs 1/4 in. Strips for that. Also how worried should I be about the door distorting when I weld the strips on? Do I need to stitch weld or can I weld the whole thing in one go. Thanks.

I'm sorry I didn't see this question sooner. It's probably too late to help you, but IMO 1/8" flat bar stock is perfect for door flanges/trim. Much easier to get a consistent, round bend in 1/8" than it is in 1/4". And I think 1/4" looks a little clunky. Just my opinion.

As far as guarding against heat distortion in your door...that's a valid concern. There's no bigger pain you can have than trying to realign a door after it warps. You can definitely pump too much heat into it if you do a continuous weld bead all the way around. I prefer to do spot welds or very short stitch welds - maybe about every couple inches. And skip around a lot to different areas of the door to allow one area to cool while you're welding somewhere else. Hopefully that will prevent any heat distortion in the door.

Red

Reactions: okiwen
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky