Question on selecting beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jnorth

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 11, 2012
Fairbanks, AK
Some of us at work are planning on buying one (or two) cows from a local butcher shop.  I've bought meat from them before and know it is MUCH better then what I can get at Sam's Club or Fred Meyers.  Mostly due to freezer space I'm planning on getting just a quarter.  I'm wondering if you all think I should get a front or hind quarter?  My understanding is the brisket, chuck, and rib eyes are from the front quarter while the tenderloin, sirloin, and flank steak are hind quarter.  Which is generally considered the best for smoking?

thanks

If I had to make a choice, I'd go with the front quarter.
Well marbled double-muscled Piedmontese is you can find it.
300x194xpiedmontese-pic-300x194.jpg.pagespeed.ic.qVhYOSaRFp.jpg

~Martin

There are a lot more cuts that are Smoker friendly from a Front Quarter. There are more Grill friendly cuts from the Hind Quarter...JJ

j

OK, I was talking to a butcher today and was informed of something I did not know...maybe y'all did, since I am a newbie. Well, in purchasing a brisket packer you should purchase the right leg vs the left as most cows use the left leg to stand up and the last to fold under so the left is more muscle and less fat so less tender...of course if you don't buy the packer you con't tell, so buying just a flat, I guess you really can't tell??

Anyone ever heard this before?? 

OK, I was talking to a butcher today and was informed of something I did not know...maybe y'all did, since I am a newbie. Well, in purchasing a brisket packer you should purchase the right leg vs the left as most cows use the left leg to stand up and the last to fold under so the left is more muscle and less fat so less tender...of course if you don't buy the packer you con't tell, so buying just a flat, I guess you really can't tell??

Anyone ever heard this before?? 
Yep.... And I went by my neighbors herd and the ratio was about 70/30....  

The limp flex/bend test described on this forum by ( Fill in your name) works well....  

Pick up the packer and hold by one end, see how easy it flexes..  If it is rigid, put it back...  If it flexes easily, put it in the shopping cart...

I read this morning... Always buy the complete packer, untrimmed, for Q'ing or smoking.... the fat is necessary for a moist flavorful product...

I 'spose you could wrap the point or flat in bacon to add fat...  sounds good to me....  

Reactions: humdinger
what is best cut of beef to buy to slice for deli sandwiches?  I have been cooking meet enough on the weekends to last my wife and I for lunches all the next week.  I am new to smoking and had fun last weekend smoking a fresh 20lb ham.  I am using a 2 door gas smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky