Question how to smoke on pellet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

born2cure

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
I’ve read to get extra smoke at higher temps I can use a smoke box. Do I have to ignite the pellets in the box first. Or does the heat from the grill ignite the pellets. And where do I place the box. Thanks the pellet grill is new to me.

Reactions: JLeonard
Light the pellet tube with a propane/butane torch, let it get going good for a few minutes, blow the flame out if there is still one, and proceed with your cook as usual. Your cook chamber doesn't have sufficient heat to light it on its own, else you would burn everything you put on it. If you are trying to use a chip box like for a gas grill, that won't light on its own either at the temps in the chamber. Pellet tubes are the best way to go with pellet grills ...... either with straight pellets, pellets mixed with chips, or dust made from pellets.

Reactions: born2cure
Thanks you that’s what I thought but best to ask.

Reactions: DougE
Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky