Question for cooking ribs vertically.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BerettaRacer

Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Ft Lauderdale
So last week I modded my Masterbuilt 330G vertical smoker to hang full racks of ribs from the overhead, instead of cutting in half and laying on shelves (which also limits you to two racks).
Yesterday got up and prepped a few racks to try out. Usual brown sugar, and assorted spices rub, so far so good. But as soon as I hung them I realized there would be a problem. All the rub began to slough off due to gravity and most of it ended up dripping onto the diffuser where it caramelized and burned up. Waste of rub.
What do you vertical users do?
Thx

Used molasses as binder.
Did not have enough height for drip pan, but no difference, that wouldn't change the fact that the rub dripped of the ribs. That's the issue, how to keep rub on, not slide off.

OK will try something different next time.
Also, was using 6" long meat hooks, today ordered same hooks, but in 3" length, raise everything up 3"

Not sure how early you apply your rub but maybe if you seasoned them the night before and wrapped em up and put them in the fridge it would give that rub time to marinate the ribs so then even if some did side off they'd still be flavorful.

So last week I modded my Masterbuilt 330G vertical smoker to hang full racks of ribs from the overhead, instead of cutting in half and laying on shelves (which also limits you to two racks).
Yesterday got up and prepped a few racks to try out. Usual brown sugar, and assorted spices rub, so far so good. But as soon as I hung them I realized there would be a problem. All the rub began to slough off due to gravity and most of it ended up dripping onto the diffuser where it caramelized and burned up. Waste of rub.
What do you vertical users do?
Thx
Dry the meat with paper towels then use a binder like French’s yellow mustard or Lea & Perrin’s before you put on your rub.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky