Question about seasoning steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wnctracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Western North Carolina
I want to up my game when cooking steak. I rarely buy beef, but my wife wants NY Strips for Christmas Eve this year so I am going for it. I have always just used Szeged steak rub and put it right on the heat but I've been reading about dry brining wit kosher salt, rinsing, patting dry and then cooking it to make it better. My question is this: If I'm using the Szeged rub is there any sense in doing the dry brine or would the end result be much too salty? I'm assuming it would be....for those of you who dry brine your steaks what do you do for adding the rub flavor? Do you make your own minus the extra salt? Help me figure out the best plan! Happy Holidays!

When I "dry brine" steaks I salt & season and then let is sit most the day or over night then right on the grill. No rinsing or anything like that but I don't cover it in a blanket of salt (basically the same amount as at the moment cook). I've never used Szeged rub but if it is salty, it would probably be overly salty if you double duty it. I suspect you could just "brine" with the rub.

When I dry brine prime rib (I do overnight to 2 nights) I do just the salt and then mix up my own spices that I rub on as a water base paste about an hour before smoking.

When I "dry brine" steaks I salt & season and then let is sit most the day or over night
Yup . That's important . The salt will draw the moisture to the surface , then it will be reabsorbed . You have to leave enough time for that to happen .
I do it the same as civil . Right on the grill no rinse .

Yup season let set then right on the grill. My choice of seasoning for steak is kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper

Then if you want to really want to kick it up a knotch smear some butter on it just before removing from the grill.

Warren

Reactions: MJB05615
The "rule" I follow is to allow at least 1/4 hour brine time per 1/4" of meat thickness. That's what I originally heard and it's always worked.

Then you can rinse and dry or cook as is. Both work. I salt fairly heavily and don't season anymore until some pepper after cooking.

Almost all of the commercial steak seasonings are loaded with salt. We use Montreal steak seasoning & I use worsty sauce as a binder. Then vac bag it for a couple of days in the fridge. I don’t put any more of it on than I would normally use, so there is no reason to rinse it. I unbag it, pat it dry & onto the grill.
Al

I lightly apply the Rub the morning we plan to cook the steaks, so about 8-9 hours in advance. Then into a Ziploc bag in fridge til cook time, then right on grill. We've been using Jeff's Texas Rub mostly and that's very low in salt. I use a thin coating of Olive Oil as a binder.

I personally like my steaks cooked naked then salt and pepper them while they are resting. I really like the flavor of good beef so naked all the way here.

I load our steaks down with all the kosher salt I can on both sides and let the steaks sit on the counter for a minimmum of 45 minutes--I then rinse all the salt off both sides--real good. I pat dry and add any seasoning. It makes the steaks so tender---so very tender. The absolute minimum for this to work is 40 minutes OR don't attempt it.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
You are very welcome Warren. I was hesitant after the thread yesterday, but I did some soul searching and decided to stay the course. If I read something that I like, I'm gonna like it. If liking something is a crime, then I'm guilty as charged! LOL.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
I load our steaks down with all the kosher salt I can on both sides and let the steaks sit on the counter for a minimmum of 45 minutes--I then rinse all the salt off both sides--real good. I pat dry and add any seasoning. It makes the steaks so tender---so very tender. The absolute minimum for this to work is 40 minutes OR don't attempt it.
Agreed. I love the salt tenderizer method. I do as you then marinate with a combo of equal parts wortsy/soy for a couple of hrs then add seasoning and grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky