Pulling some late-season chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Torch&Tone

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 9, 2019
Washington, DC
Skinless chicken breasts, lightly coated in mustard & a touch of oil, dusted with freshly-ground white pepper and onion powder. Normally prefer chicken thighs, but thighs weren't on discount.

1.jpg

Smoked on a mix of cherry & apple, ~235F, for a few hours, until an IT of about 148

2.jpg

Yeah, I need to change the foil on the heat shield...

3.jpg

Lovely color and the texture that I like. The "skin" that forms is vaguely sausage-like: thin but toothsome, a bit of snap to it.

4.jpg

A little bit of sheen inside. I didn't get the chance to brine the meat this time and I'd say the difference was minor but noticeable.

5.jpg

However, since it's mostly going into "wet" dishes (soups, stews, maybe some chicken salad), juiciness wasn't as much of a concern this time. I've got enough sauces if I still want to make a sandwich or wrap, and it's probably still good enough for adding to pizza or pasta.

6.jpg

Would use more oil and a bit less white pepper next time (and also dry-brine!), but generally happy with the results.

7.jpg

Nice. Mixed with some sauteed Onions,rolled in Tortillas and topped with a Green Chili White Sauce, would be a good Enchilada...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky