Pulled pork topped Crisp Baked Potato

Discussion in 'Veggies' started by dirtsailor2003, May 19, 2013.

1. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I used Mr T's crisp baked potato recipe for the tater. I re-heated some vac packed pulled pork and topped the tater with it.

I edited the thread to include Mr. T's recipe from his thread:

"The following is from my cookbook " Mr. T's Favorite Recipes" this is not an endorsement, just fact."
    Crisp Baked Potato
    Ingredients:

1 large russet potato (If it looks like Mr. Potato Head, you've got the right one.)

canola oil to coat

kosher salt

Preparation:

Position racks in the top and bottom thirds of oven and preheat to 450°. Wash potatoes thoroughly with a stiff brush and cold running water then dry, do not pierce.  Place in a bowl and lightly coat with oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and place potato on middle rack of oven. Place a baking sheet pan on the lower rack to catch any drippings.

Bake 45 minutes (depending on size) until skin is crisp, but flesh beneath feels soft.  Serve by creating a dotted line of holes from end to end with a fork, then crack the spud open by squeezing the ends toward one another. It will pop right open so be aware of escaping steam.

Chef's note:  If cooking more than 4 potatoes, you'll need to extend the cooking time by up to 15 minutes.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. It's a good thing I just ate after finishing my very first smoke, because otherwise this would make me very hungry, It looks awesome !! I hope to do a butt next weekend so I may try to see how closely i can recreate it. Thanks for the pics and the idea for the near future.

3. Looks great!  Bet it tasted real good.

4. dirtsailor2003

Thanks! It was really tasty!

Another tasty option is to top potato skins with pulled pork, bbq sauce and smoked cheese, crumbled up bacon. Put them under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Now that;s a tater skin!

5. looks great.

happy smoken.

David

6. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks delicious, DS!  This goes on the "to do" list.

Red

7. mr t 59874

mr t 59874 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looking good DS, hope you enjoyed.

Tom

8. dirtsailor2003

Thanks everyone, they were tasty! Next time I make mashed taters, I'll bake them like this and save the skins for some pulled pork tater skins!

9. looks amazing. something i might be trying very very soon. thanks for sharing!! [​IMG]

10. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

Looks Awesome!!!
    I like to call it "A pig in a potato patch".....gotta cover it in smoked cheese though!!!

11. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Boy that looks good, and toping a potato skin ....... Genius!

12. dirtsailor2003

I was too lazy to grate the cheese! When I do the tater skins stuffed with pulled pork they get sauteed Walla Walla sweets, jalapenos, bbq sauce, crumbled bacon, and smoked cheese. Yumm!

13. smoke slinger

smoke slinger Smoking Fanatic

Thats one good looking tater, makes me hungry for lunch and its just a little to early......lol.....

14. dirtsailor2003

Thanks Smoke Slinger! Thankfully for me it's Breakfast time!

15. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Kudos for a great recipe.

And extra Kudos for some great MONEY SHOTS!

Meat and potatoes SMF style!

16. dirtsailor2003

Thanks!! The tater was tasty! Mr T's crsipy baked tater recipe really makes the skin stand out. I will be doing this method from now on, except next time I'm using smoked serrano salt!

As a kid growing up I would regularly chop up steak and add it to my potato so the pulled pork stuffed on there was a had to do idea! Smoked cheesus and some chopped up hatch chiles or jalaeno would be a great addition too.

17. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

A great idea and it looks reeeeeally tasty. Nice work. :yahoo:

18. dirtsailor2003

Thanks HB, it was tasty!

19. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

At some of the local BBQ joints they do the stuffed taters....a favorite of mine....like it "all the way"....which is pp, sour cream, cheese, butter and bacon too.  Carb overload!

Love it!  Made me drool!  AGAIN!

Kat

20. dirtsailor2003

Thanks Kat! We load up our tater skins too. This weekend I am smoking a turkey, so we will probably do mashers. I'll make some of my tater skins and post them up!