"Probe Tender" Brisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slinger1317

Original poster
May 1, 2019
Going to do my first brisket on my MES this weekend. I am planning on running at 250 with no wrap. I've got all day and its just me and the wife so I have some room to miss.

One question I have is where do you take the IT on the brisket? Point,flat,in between? It seems like you may get different readings in different locations. Also, I have read that a lot of it is more "feel" than actual temp. What area of the brisket am I looking for "probe tender?"

I know I'm probably overthinking it, just wanted to get some pointers from you guys.

I check the thickest part of the brisket. The meat starts to get tender once the INT gets above about 180*...this is when the collagen starts to break down into that ooey gooey delicious gelatin. I start probing when the brisket hits 190*. Sometimes it's done at 195*, while others might need to go higher...
It is also important to wrap and rest either in a warm oven or wrapped with towels in an ice chest. That rest keeps breaking down that collagen into gelatin and allows the liquid to be reabsorbed for a juicy brisket....

Reactions: Hawging It
what indaswamp said :). thickest part is usually the last to be done. the point will be done first, the flat last. about 190 ish i start probing, find the part not done/least done, then focus on checking there as temp creeps up. no need to recheck parts that are already probe tender.

I ignore the point for two reasons. One, it's packed with fat and will give you a false "tender" feel WAY before the collagen has melted. Two, it is easy to push the probe into the deckle (sp?) fat layer, again, giving a false reading.

I only probe the flat and do it from the side, not the top. Every smoker is different, as is every technique. When the flat probes tender, the point will be too.

what indaswamp said :). thickest part is usually the last to be done. the point will be done first, the flat last. about 190 ish i start probing, find the part not done/least done, then focus on checking there as temp creeps up. no need to recheck parts that are already probe tender.

Ummm, You got that Backwards.:emoji_upside_down:...JJ

well, more like what noboundaries said. It will feel probe tender and done first.

I start probing the thickest part of the Flat at 195°, and check it about every 2° increase or so.
And I probe from side too, nothing but Flat that way.
If you wrap, take the time to remember and mark the spot for later.
Temp probes for IT go in multiple spots.

For those that wrap- when you probe do you unwrap each time, or just poke through the paper/foil?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky