Brisket got too tender

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
Let a prime brisket get a little too done last night and it fell apart like a pot roast. Went to 204, cooled to 150 and then held at 150 for 8 hrs. Prime briskets often get probe tender at just under 200 for me.

Tender, juicy, and delicious so I'm not complaining. It was just a bit of a challenge to slice. Might have been easier if I had let it cool more but we were in a hurry.

BTW, prime brisket trimmings make really good chili!

IMG_0095.JPEG
IMG_0096.JPEG

Looks wonderful from where I'm sitting, and I'm betting it tasted great Kel. As for it falling apart. Just blame that on a dull knife. Besides chili leftover brisket also makes an excellent hash.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks very tasty to me. Perfect on a nice bun topped with some cole slaw I would be in heaven!!

Reactions: kelbro
Been there, and brisket chili is good stuff!
As to cooking to 204 and then holding at 150 for 8 hours, you need to think of sous vide cooking where low cook temps and long cook times achieve the same results as shorter and hotter cooking, which is to say it "cooked" too long after pulling.
I don't know the magic "cook to" number that works with long hold time to achieve brisket perfection, but now we know 204 plus 8 hours hold it too high.
I was just about to post this exact question on hold time and temps so this equation is on my mind too!

Reactions: kelbro and zwiller
First I want to say, looks great! Can't be too tender imo, unless this was some sort of competition cookoff. :)

Second I want to ask, what is with all the long hold times after a cook, and how do you time it just right so you can eat dinner? A friend of mine smokes some pretty good brisket, and he pretty much pulls it off, it rests a short amount of time, and then he slices it and we eat.

I've never seen him hold it overnight. I don't think he wraps it other than just foil over top of a foil pan. Usually starts about 8 am and we eat about 6 pm. Thoughts?

First I want to say, looks great! Can't be too tender imo, unless this was some sort of competition cookoff. :)

Second I want to ask, what is with all the long hold times after a cook, and how do you time it just right so you can eat dinner? A friend of mine smokes some pretty good brisket, and he pretty much pulls it off, it rests a short amount of time, and then he slices it and we eat.

I've never seen him hold it overnight. I don't think he wraps it other than just foil over top of a foil pan. Usually starts about 8 am and we eat about 6 pm. Thoughts?
I like the long rest time because I pull at a lower temp than most folks do. I rarely let one go past about 195, with 193ish being my 'sweet spot' when I probe. I'm not in the camp of zero resistance on the probe. If my probe goes in like room temp butter, my heart hurts because that's way overdone.

If I dig right in, it can be a little chewy. If I rest it forever, that little chewy becomes the perfect bite. I also think the leftovers (and as my family eats it once or twice and they've had enough, I often end up polishing off several pounds over a week) are MUCH better with the early pull and the long rest.

If I'm trying to time it to get done at 6:00, then I get to jacking with the temps to rush it and I fail. Everyone else might rave about it, but IMO, it's a fail. If I'm serving at 6, my brisket needs to be done by 2 - that way if I get an ornery one that absolutely must go to 200 degrees (or 205) I can still have it done by 4 without trying to play the turn up the temp game too much.

I'm new, but just made this post with long hold/low heat cook times and was so delicious.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky