Price Check- Propane 20lb tank exchange or refill in your area.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deltadude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 3, 2008
Sacramento Area
What is LP gas going for in your area?

In my Sacramento Area, just did a Blue Rhino exchange for $18.47 + $1.67 tax or $20.09.

I used to do refills, but the last LP refill station within 2 miles stopped doing it 2 years ago so no just doing exchanges.

Depending on the place, between $17 and $20. Used to have a boss who had a side business selling propane for heating, he'd fill them up free of charge. Friends would get them filled for $5. The only problem with that was that it might take several days to get them back.

$9.66.  5 gal @ 1.79/gal+ 8% tax.( I have wet line on my house tank
icon_smile.gif
)

Last edited:
Propane Weighs 4.24 pounds
30 pounder should be 7.075 gallons
20 pounder should be 4.716 gallons

Exchanged tanks are not filled to the 80 percent capacity of the tank (4.716 gallons), they are less.

Exchanged tanks are approx. (3.75 gallons)

If you fill at a U-Haul you are charged by how much they actually put in, so you can top off a tank without paying extra and some will offer price breaks.

Most gas stations charge per fill.

Exchange service is good if you have a tank that is old or out dated, sometimes you can sneak em by.

read the article below
[h1]Propane Tank Ripoff - Consumers Get Less While Suppliers Get More[/h1]
Do not accept tanks with a green residue,

Snopes Link

Last edited:
I just refilled one at U-Haul last week for $11.59 for about 3.5 gal. Price was $3.22 per gal. Actually quite a bit higher than last year, but it's still a lot cheaper than an exchange. We have a convenience store a couple of blocks from here that's getting over $20 for an exchange.

I have a place that fills by gal. about 2.58 last time i refilled.

I have 3 20lb/ 5gal and a 30lb 7 gal.

i get a refill after the 3 tank is done so i always have propane.

Good smoking...

trades here are 17-20 depending on where ya get them. Ferrel Gas down the road does them for 16 but twice a year they will do a half price fill special. So I take all 10 of mine over and take advantage of it. Propane fills on small tanks is a rip off, even by the gallon they charg doble the gallon or per pound price.

i got news for you if you do the exchange you also only get 15lbs of propane!! read the label on the blue rhino and other brands they rip you off for 5lbs!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky