Pretty pumped!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
AWESOME!!!!
Monitor how fast each salami casing is drying out....you may need to shuffle them around couple times before they are finished. Get to know how salamis dry in your chamber with this run......

Also, hows the sweating on the coils??

Reactions: 73saint
3rd pic. Far one to the right. Did you fold extra casing up over? That may slow drying in that area. Other then that, cant wait to see sliced pics.

3rd pic. Far one to the right. Did you fold extra casing up over? That may slow drying in that area. Other then that, cant wait to see sliced pics.
Adam, you read my mind. So, I watched those trussing vids of Indas, over and over, and over. That’s where I got the fold over idea from. It wasn’t until I started looking at my pics that your comment hit me, I bet that will affect drying. We shall see, this was my first experiment and I hope to learn and do many many more.

Adam, you read my mind. So, I watched those trussing vids of Indas, over and over, and over. That’s where I got the fold over idea from. It wasn’t until I started looking at my pics that your comment hit me, I bet that will affect drying. We shall see, this was my first experiment and I hope to learn and do many many more.

Hey its good to see what happens. Maybe prick it alot.

What was your final pH after fermentation? Did you check it?
Inda, my birthday is the 25th. I know my bday present is the apera ph meter w spear tip and Bluetooth. But under advisement from a few folks, I was willing to try this batch without a meter. I did the salami w tspx. I’m already familiar with that culture so I used 72 hours as a base, and then monitored temp and humidity. I pulled it from fermentation at 48 hours. Since it fermented in my oven, my temps spiked a few times to the upper 80s, had good color and my sample force meat was looked and smelled right (and I had someone in my ear along the way, hope I’m ok there).

I did the pepperoni w flavor of Italy, fast fermented and it was ready in 18 hours. I put it in the drying chamber at 22 hours, again with assistance along the way. This batch I had Cajuneric Cajuneric helping me.

Any thoughts about this? I wanted to wait for the apera but these guys gave me the confidence to proceed without.

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
What was your final pH after fermentation? Did you check it?
Inda, my birthday is the 25th. I know my bday present is the apera ph meter w spear tip and Bluetooth. But under advisement from a few folks, I was willing to try this batch without a meter. I did the salami w tspx. I’m already familiar with that culture so I used 72 hours as a base, and then monitored temp and humidity. I pulled it from fermentation at 48 hours. Since it fermented in my oven, my temps spiked a few times to the upper 80s, had good color and my sample force meat was looked and smelled right (and I had someone in my ear along the way, hope I’m ok there).

I did the pepperoni w flavor of Italy, fast fermented and it was ready in 18 hours. I put it in the drying chamber at 22 hours, again with assistance along the way. This batch I had Cajuneric Cajuneric helping me with that.

Any thoughts about this? I wanted to wait for the apera but these guys gave me the confidence to proceed without.

Sounds like you are good to go... the texture will definitely change upon fermentation, the salami will firm up. You are within established degree hours for fermentation so you should be good. I just like knowing the pH for flavor development. Not as critical with the flavor of italy culture from what I understand though....the sub strain of staphylococcus Carnosus Utilus can handle pH below 4.8 and still develop flavor.

...higher temps will ferment faster and provide a little more pH drop with the same amount of dextrose......

Will now I need a ph meter. Never had used one. Thanks. Gotta sneak that passed the wife at some point.

• Haha
Also, you asked about the coils. I check the drip pan daily. My protocol has been to take a bit of paper towel every day or so, and place it into the drip pan. I generally get about a 1/4 cup or so every day. But there is still plenty of room in the drip pan. This weekend, I gambled. I got everything in the drying chamber then went to deer camp for two days. I’ve got a data logger so no issues there but I worried about the drip pan. It had more water but still no where near full. I just have to keep an eye.

Oh and now the water coming out of the drip pan smells like the fermented meat, actually really appealing. Lol.

I raised my drying chamber freezer up on a frame made from deck boards so it is 3" off the floor. This gave me enough room to take the drain hose off the stock drain pan and put it into a 1 gallon water jug. Drying the snack sticks, they will produce roughly 22 cups total upon drying but some of that moisture is lost during smoking. I have been dumping it weekly...roughly 7/8ths full....

How you getting that much drainage? I dont get any. I must be missing something.

Mine isnt frost free either. You said about getting liquid too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky