Preparing pork butt the night before

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bronsonelliott

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 9, 2014
McKinney, TX
I'm making pull pork tomorrow for Father's Day. I'm going to prep tonight but to make it easier on me. My question is should I wrap the pork butt in plastic wrap once I trim and season or just let it sit unwrapped so the fridge air can hit it?

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm making pull pork tomorrow for Father's Day. I'm going to prep tonight but to make it easier on me. My question is should I wrap the pork butt in plastic wrap once I trim and season or just let it sit unwrapped so the fridge air can hit it?
I always trim and season the night before. Personally I leave it in the fridge unwrapped to let the surface dry off a bit. I really don't think it would make much difference if any though. Just the way I've always done it.

Thanks for the feedback! I've gone ahead and trimmed and seasoned and wrapped in plastic wrap and then put in a large ziplock (just to contain the smell a bit). Then I will definitely add more rub tomorrow when I'm ready to throw on the smoker.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for the feedback! I've gone ahead and trimmed and seasoned and wrapped in plastic wrap and then put in a large ziplock (just to contain the smell a bit). Then I will definitely add more rub tomorrow when I'm ready to throw on the smoker.

Thanks again everyone!
Great
Rub and wrap overnight is my method for a whole butt. I have a second fridge for the chill.
My rub has very little salt and no sugar so I don't add much before putting on the grill.

Reactions: chopsaw
(just to contain the smell a bit).

Oh man. That smell in the fridge is the best! Leave it in there unwrapped and and it will smell like that for a couple days! Guess I should consider myself lucky. My wife and daughter both love the smell lol!

Like John, I have a separate fridge for making sausages, bacon, and keeping meat I'm preparing for the smoker. The smell is usually awesome when I open it depending on what I have going on in there.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky