Pounds per person help please?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

c14james35

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 5, 2014
Hey everyone. We are making pulled pork for Easter. I don't have time to make it on my smoker so we are doing it in the pressure cooker with pork loin and doing it Carolina style. But I'm not sure how many pounds of raw meat to cook for 30 people? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I always figure 1/2 lb per person but you'll get better yield from a loin than shoulder. But why not cook a shoulder? I find pork loin dries up if cooked past 160F.

Reactions: SonnyE
I always figure 1/2 lb per person but you'll get better yield from a loin than shoulder. But why not cook a shoulder? I find pork loin dries up if cooked past 160F.
I think the shoulder has more flavor than loin,Bregent you're right on, the loin starts to dry up after it reaches 160* and I don't know why a lot of directions including my dig.meat thermometer say to cook to 170*. Sounds like my mother in law who overcooks everything, most be that farm thing

1/3 of a pound per person is what we shoot for when we cater. There’s always left overs as well. 1/4 pound of meat per person if your doing more than one protein.

Don’t forget to account for your loss. I always assume I’m gonna lose 50% of my pork butts. So at 1/3 # per person, with 50% loss you’ll need 20 # of Pork butt to feed 30 people.

I have no idea what the pork loin loss average is as I’ve never served it to a bunch of people so I’ve never looked into it. But there not a lot of fat in loin so I wouldn’t assume it’d be a very high loss %.

That said I’d go with straight pork butt. Loin is far better cut into slices imho.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Thanks I figured for 1/2 pound per person. I picked up sirloin tip roast from Costco. My other half wanted a leaner option for the pressure cooker for her wedding diet. I usually go with pork but though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky