Pork Tenderloin cooking options

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
Picked up a couple packages of pork tenderloin ends that were on sale for  $.99 a pound last week.  Hoping to cook them up on the pellet grill this weekend.  after opening the package, I found that I have several chunks that are 2"x2" or 2"x3" chunks.  Is my best option to cook these to about 145 degrees, or can they be cooked to 195-200 and have shredded pulled pork like consistency?

Your best bet is to smoke them to 145, I take mine off at 138-140.

Then after a 20 minute rest on the counter, the carryover cooking will bring them up to 145.

If they are small they won't take very long to cook!

Al

Al is spot on with temps, I tried going to 160 before pulling from grill, big mistake. No fat to keep them moist.

My store just had them on sale for $.99/lb. Blew them out. I set back one pack for myself and nearly got mugged at the checkouts.

I Took the chunks and butterflied them to make steaks 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick and wrapped the edge with bacon. Some I had to butterfly cut 2 places (opposite sides) to make a decent sized steak/chop. then on a low heat grill cooked them to 140 and the she-beast said "too pink" so back on the grill to 145. Perfection at last ! I could have/would have eaten it at the 140 mark. Even with the 5 degree increase, I could tell they were starting to dry out.

I'm only guessing here as I haven't tried it myself but I'm thinking at 200 deg The grain will tighten up and the lack of fat to keep it moist will screw you. You might be able to pull it but the meat will be so dry, it will never compare to pulled pork from a shoulder/butt. There really is a reason some cuts are used for certain things and not for others. There are other ways to use tenderloins, but pulled pork is unlikely IMHO

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky