Pork fat question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimmyinsd

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I saw a sale that had hormel pork arm roasts on sale for .99 pound, I was wondering if anybody knew anything about that cut in relation to fat content? I assume its part of the picnic ham but isnt likely brined and smoked, but it should be around 75/25 for lean/fat content? I dont know yet if they are enhanced roasts which I would likely pass on, but I am needing some pork so the price intrigued me.

These are bone in roasts so if anybody would happen to know how much bone to expect in each roast in relation to the weight that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance.

Arm Roast, Pork. Also called picnic roast, the pork arm roast is a fresh cut that comes from the shoulder primal. Containing more fat than the blade Boston roast, a well trimmed arm roast provides a very rich flavor when roasted. It is often smoked and referred to as a picnic ham, although it is not a true ham.

I hope they go on sale here . I always pay close attention the the label on Hormel and Smith field products because they sell some that are enhanced and some that aren't . Go get a couple , and look up Dave's injected picnic thread .

I hope they go on sale here . I always pay close attention the the label on Hormel and Smith field products because they sell some that are enhanced and some that aren't . Go get a couple , and look up Dave's injected picnic thread .

I was thinking on getting a case. I usually do that with butts and then debone and grind them and that way when I want to make sausage I always have a supply of ground pork on hand in the freezer. I just havent found a good price on butts for a while and am running low on ground pork.

I was thinking on getting a case. I usually do that with butts and then debone and grind them and that way when I want to make sausage I always have a supply of ground pork on hand in the freezer. I just havent found a good price on butts for a while and am running low on ground pork.
I make sausage quite regularly and found that now would be a good time to stock up because prices always go up in bbq season.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky