Pork Butt - I thought I was crazy.... NEED HELP!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dcdoes

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Canton, GA
So I just finished my 3rd butt on the BGE and it cooked faster than I expected. I had a 9lb bone in butt and the egg was set to between 235-250, based on the built in thermometer. After about 7 hours the butt was done. This is pretty much the same results with the other butts. In fact I have had quicker cook times on all my low and slow - poultry, pork loins and ribs.

So I took my Maverick 72 and hung the probe down into the center of the dome. I then brought the temp back to 250 degrees and waited for the probe to register a final temp. Well after a couple minutes the Maverick settled in at 319 degrees! 

Before I jump to conclusions, I have a question. Could the Maverick be effected by the wire touching the top of the egg or does it only register temperatures at the probe itself?

If its only the probe, then I am 70 degrees off. It may be time to find a thermometer that allows me to do meat and dome temp.

I don't understand why getting a butt done in 7 hours is a bad thing.
icon_biggrin.gif

You may want to check the maverick in boiling water before concluding your factory therm is off by that much, but it does seem that it may be so.

The wire touching should have no effect. Looks like you're 70* off. Factory therm are usually way off. Look into getting a maverick et732.

Hi DC,

I wouldn't trust the temp indicator on the smoker.  Your Maverick is probably right but check in boiling water to be sure.

If you are running at 319 you are definitely going to get done quicker.

The wire is shielded so it shouldn't matter if it touches, only the probe temp will register.  Now, if the probe is touching metal or something inside the smoker then you could be getting a bad reading.

Good luck.,

Bill

I know the Maverick is accurate when used in meat. I traditionally double check all final temps with another probe and they are spot on. I may do the hot water check on the wire to make sure no shielding has come off.

Thanks for all the quick answers, I guess I need to go for the ET732...I wanted one anyway, now I have a reason 

BTW - Cliffcarter - things are cooking low and slow, I just expected slower (?) lol

I checked the wire in hot water and there was no temp change, as soon as the probe went in the temp started going up like it should. Looks like I am 70 degrees off.

Thanks again everyone!

Follow up - I corrected the problem with the temp gauge and now I have been relearning the BGE.

So today I throw on a small 6 lb butt. The plan was to pull it then freeze it in 1 lb and 1/2 lb batches to use in future recipes (chili, beans, etc). I put the butt on at noon and figured I may actually get a small stall. Maybe worst case, 8 hours total. WRONG!!!! 13 hours and a 5 hour stall later, I finally pulled the butt at 195 degrees. I am going to leave it foiled for about an hour, then will pull the meat.

I should have known better than to complain a month ago LOL

D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky