Pork butt done?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spwalker75

Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
ive been smoking 2 pork butts, 8.3lbs each, in my Smoke Vault 18 overnight. Smoke probe reads 202. Close enough? I know the magic number is 205.

Did the Probe slide in tender ? I usually pull mine at 200. I have put them in a dry cooler and let them rest as long as 5 hours.

Yes. Although if you insert the probe into a different part of the butt you may get a different reading. Try to stay clear of the bone.

SP
You are getting close on the temp but now you really just need to focus on how probe tender you want it. Probe should go in with no resistance at all. Once that happens you are done!
Let it rest for a good while too. And save the juices to put back into the butt when you pull it. Will help a ton towards keeping it moist.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: sauced
+1, rest it! wonderful things happen during this time. We usually place in pan, cover, then put in cooler with towels below and above for approx 2 hours.

I agree with Doug, bone wiggle will let you know it's done.
The bone should be separating from the meat & it will pull right out clean.
Al

upload_2018-7-15_20-9-31.png

Attachments

• IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 12
Is the wiggle so that you can check it without actually pulling the bone out during the rest period? I always leave it in until I’m ready to pull it apart so that I don’t open up a spot to lose juices.

Is the wiggle so that you can check it without actually pulling the bone out during the rest period? I always leave it in until I’m ready to pull it apart so that I don’t open up a spot to lose juices.
If the bone wiggles it is usually done. When I pull my butt it goes in a pan and I pull the bone so I'm not to worried about loosing any juice.

Turned out well. Bone came right out once it broke free of the bark. Next time I will make sure to rest it for a longer time. Thanks for the advice!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky