Pork Butt amount for a large group

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dog1234

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2012
Breaux Bridge, LA
Hi all,

I have been asked to smoke pork butts for my sons weeding in November. We are inviting 200 people and will have other foods to eat. One other main dish will be jambalaya. I have a few questions.
  1. What is the recommended amount of pork (in lbs) to cook for this situation?
  2. I will be making home made bad-b-q sauce how much of that in gallons?
  3. What is the best way to preserve the butts after cooking? I may need to per cook them a couple days before the event.
Any help would be appreciated.

I’d say smoke about 120 lbs. You will yield about 70 lbs. cooked and pulled. That gives you a little over a third lbs. per guest. With other main dishes and sides that should be plenty. Likely have plenty left over.

I always work on a 50% loss for bone in butt. So 10lb raw will net 5kb cook. It's usually a smaller loss than that, but 50% makes sure I'll always have enough.

Per serving I figure 1/3lb per person. I actually had a vendor today and did my 1/3lb pulled pork sandwiches and I'd have a hard time believing anyone thought hey look small lol.

The nice thing about self serve events is that while you will have those big eaters, 1/2lb+, you'll also have those that will only eat 3-4oz. It all seems to kind of balance out a the end.

For 200 people, I'd work with 150lb raw weight and go from there.

For pulled pork, the standard rule of thumb is one-third to one-half pound of meat per person.

I agree with krj krj - A raw 10-pound pork shoulder will yield about 5.5-6 pounds of finished meat, serving 12 to 18 people.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky