Pork butt (5 lb) stringy and tough after resting for 1 hour.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It needed more time. Chamber temp was fine. Process was solid. End point too soon. A butt will pull apart before it is tender. 200F can work, but that particular butt may have needed 205F, + or - 3 to 5F. Those last few degrees can make all the difference between tender and juicy (done), dry and tough (underdone), or juicy and mushy (overdone).

I.T. of meat tells you when to probe for tenderness all over. I haven't wiggled a bone in years, but many use that as an indicator of doneness.
I'll second this. I did a hot and fast butt last weekend and it was up to 190-200 in multiple spots, so I pulled and rested. Probably could've let it sit for another hour until it was for sure at least 200 everywhere, as it was pullable but definitely needed a little more time. I did 275F for 5 hours on a 6lb butt to get to those temps, so I was already leery...I should've probed a few more spots and erred on too long in this instance.

I'll second this. I did a hot and fast butt last weekend and it was up to 190-200 in multiple spots, so I pulled and rested. Probably could've let it sit for another hour until it was for sure at least 200 everywhere, as it was pullable but definitely needed a little more time. I did 275F for 5 hours on a 6lb butt to get to those temps, so I was already leery...I should've probed a few more spots and erred on too long in this instance.
Definitely going to test for tenderness next time. Not just go off strictly temperature.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky