Pork Belly Burnt Ends with Dr Pepper Huckleberry Glaze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When I set my timer on my phone, I accidentally set it for 15 hours.
It seemed like it was an awful long 15 minutes, and when I finally rinsed my hands and dried them to take a look is was a hugely over long time.
But still, the glaze looked OK. Just dark.
Still, I liked the taste.
I could eat a meal of these Burnt ends as the main meat. Delicious!

These sound amazing. I made burnt ends today (second time), and they are so delicious! The huckleberry twist is interesting!

If anyone was wanting to try out the Huckleberry glaze, I found this at Cabela's this evening and I figure you can find it at your local Cabela's or Bass Pro, too. I haven't tried it myself (I'm partial to my homemade jam), but I plan on using it in my next run of PBBE's just to see how it does.

IMG_20190129_155153.jpg

Reactions: SonnyE
If anyone was wanting to try out the Huckleberry glaze, I found this at Cabela's this evening and I figure you can find it at your local Cabela's or Bass Pro, too. I haven't tried it myself (I'm partial to my homemade jam), but I plan on using it in my next run of PBBE's just to see how it does.

Cool,
Not a bad price either, for that big a jar!!!

Bear

Thanks for the tip, Preacher Man!

If there was any berries here, I'm sure they'd be gone before even the birds could get them.... :emoji_rolling_eyes:
Now, your true recipe could be done. (Dr. Pepper, Honey, and Brown Sugar is readily available to me...)
Thanks!

We have Huckleberries in the area, hit and miss though, seems conditions have to be just right to get a crop worth picking. Blueberries we have tons in the cut blocks. Any reason Blueberry Jam couldn’t be substituted for Huckleberry Jam? My wife saw your pictures and burnt ends are now on the “Honey Dew List” Sure looks good!!!

I think the blueberry jam would make an excellent substitute! Let me know what you think.

Yeah, The ones in PA are almost identical.
For most of my life I thought I was picking & eating Wild Blueberries in Pike County, PA. (My favorite hunting and fishing area)
Whenever they were in season, the woods up there was full of them.
Then thanks to the Internet, I found out they weren't Blueberries at all---They were Huckleberries.
Looked & tasted just like Blueberries to me.

Bear

For most of my life I thought I was picking & eating Wild Blueberries in Pike County, PA. (My favorite hunting and fishing area)
Then thanks to the Internet, I found out they weren't Blueberries at all---They were Huckleberries.

Bear

I think they're interchangeable in New England.

Chris

Bear
I find Huckleberries aren’t quite a sweet as Blueberries but tend to grow taller and bigger making Huckleberries easier to pick. My wife treats them the same for baking and/or jams. In any case, fresh wild Huckleberries are way better than store bought Blueberries IMO.

I grow blueberries in my backyard and pick huckleberries in the mountains. I think their tastes are extremely similar. The difference to me is that a huckleberry is like a blueberry on flavor steroids, and maybe a tad more tart.

I grow blueberries in my backyard and pick huckleberries in the mountains. I think their tastes are extremely similar. The difference to me is that a huckleberry is like a blueberry on flavor steroids, and maybe a tad more tart.

I agree with those things.
I would say Huckleberries are a lot smaller, but I have only seen, picked & ate Wild Huckleberries.
And I have never seen Wild Blueberries (that I know of).

I would imagine if someone grew home grown Huckleberries they would be bigger too.

The wild Huckleberries I have picked in Pike County, PA only average about 1/4" in Diameter.

Bear

Whether it’s Blueberries or any wild berries for that matter, to me picking berries is an excuse to get out in the bush. Family time without the distractions of electronic devices. Our rules, one cell phone allowed, turned off, for emergencies only. Pack a picnic lunch, load up the boat, truck or ATV’s and get out with the family. Last summer there were 4 generations in the Blueberry patch, a Black Bear was also interested in the same patch. We gave the bear a wide berth and watched it for 15 minutes. The Grandchildren still talk about the bear and it seems that was the highlight of their visit to the cabin. A little off topic, nothing to do with smoking meat other than harvesting ingredients that will end up on some smoked meat.

I agree with those things.
I would say Huckleberries are a lot smaller, but I have only seen, picked & ate Wild Huckleberries.
And I have never seen Wild Blueberries (that I know of).

I would imagine if someone grew home grown Huckleberries they would be bigger too.

The wild Huckleberries I have picked in Pike County, PA only average about 1/4" in Diameter.

Bear
In our neck of the woods (Alberta foothills) Huckleberries are bigger than most strains of Blueberries, about the size of a thumb nail, comparable to small grapes.

In our neck of the woods (Alberta foothills) Huckleberries are bigger than most strains of Blueberries, about the size of a thumb nail, comparable to small grapes.

The ones in the Pocono Mountains in PA are Low Bushes, and the berries aren't much bigger than Elderberries.

Bear

Whether it’s Blueberries or any wild berries for that matter, to me picking berries is an excuse to get out in the bush. Family time without the distractions of electronic devices. Our rules, one cell phone allowed, turned off, for emergencies only. Pack a picnic lunch, load up the boat, truck or ATV’s and get out with the family. Last summer there were 4 generations in the Blueberry patch, a Black Bear was also interested in the same patch. We gave the bear a wide berth and watched it for 15 minutes. The Grandchildren still talk about the bear and it seems that was the highlight of their visit to the cabin. A little off topic, nothing to do with smoking meat other than harvesting ingredients that will end up on some smoked meat.

Yup---Bears Love all kinds of Berries!! :emoji_wink:

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky