Porcupine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2016
Central Pennsylvania
Anyone have a good recipe for porcupine? I happened to get this one this afternoon.
856C6D2F-C562-4EBB-BC7C-C0B0BB09934F.jpeg
5ACD16A1-99F0-4E6B-923A-9404F0AFFD97.jpeg

Jake what is your rub recommendation?

Reactions: Winterrider
I don't think you want to rub that critter lol, we picked a lot of quills out of the coon dogs when I was a kid, always in the snout

I guess the new season just opened on Tuesday in PA.

They didn't used to want people to kill them, because if you get lost in the woods of Northern PA, Porky is the easiest to harvest for survival food.

My guess would be the same as Coon, Possum, or Grunsow.
If you never had them, something like Squirrel.

BTW: Many Years ago I ran over a Very Smashed up Roadkill Porcupine. A Quill gave me a flat tire. Understand this was Before Radial Tires.

Bear

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Wow, other than a zoo have never seen one. I have a lot of critters out back but none of these. Not sure if we have them in Ohio.

I guess the new season just opened on Tuesday in PA.

They didn't used to want people to kill them, because if you get lost in the woods of Northern PA, Porky is the easiest to harvest for survival food.

My guess would be the same as Coon, Possum, or Grunsow.
If you never had them, something like Squirrel.

BTW: Many Years ago I ran over a Very Smashed up Roadkill Porcupine. A Quill gave me a flat tire. Understand this was Before Radial Tires.

Bear
Season or no season he had to go. Gotta protect my cattle.

Cook it in some white wine and garlic sauce. Its similar to rabbit meat .. Or eat that critter raw if you're feelin adventurous.

Raw? Lol how do I know if it has rabies?
I thought you had eaten it before so I was foolin with you, my fault. You can eat it raw but DONT those critters are known for tape worms so make sure its cooked fully and check the meat. Go with a slow cook , white wine, chicken broth and your favorite garlic sauce.

Season or no season he had to go. Gotta protect my cattle.

LOL---Many years ago, I went up to Potter County with 2 Vietnam Vet Buddies of mine. We hit a few bars on the way, and got there in "Fine" shape. So the one guy "Ron" had to use the outhouse. WE (Me & Jack) told him take the lantern, as we were in the process of lighting the Propane Wall lamps in the cabin. He said "I'm not afraid of the dark!"
We said "Take the "Dang" Lantern!!" So he took the Lantern.
Next thing, we heard a lot of yelling & cussing, and a lot of thumping sounds.
Here Ron dropped his pants & was just going to sit down when he spied the Porky laying in the corner, next to the hole. He grabbed a 2 X 4 that was standing in the corner & beat the heck out of Porky. When he was done the one end of the 2X4 looked like a Comb.----LOL---And he was going to go out there, without the Lantern!!!!

Bear

Last edited:
LOL---Many years ago, I went up to Potter County with 2 Vietnam Vet Buddies of mine. We hit a few bars on the way, and got there in "Fine" shape. So the one guy "Ron" had to use the outhouse. WE (Me & Jack) told him take the lantern, as we were in the process of lighting the Propane Wall lamps in the cabin. He said "I'm not afraid of the dark!"
We said "Take the "Dang" Lantern!!" So he took the Lantern.
Next thing, we heard a lot of yelling & cussing, and a lot of thumping sounds.
Here Ron dropped his pants & was just going to sit down when he spied the Porky laying in the corner, next to the hole. He grabbed a 2 X 4 that was standing in the corner & beat the heck out of Porky. When he was done the one end of the 2X4 looked like a Comb.----LOL---And he was going to go out there, without the Lantern!!!!

Bear
Hahahahaha

Well I hope y’all don’t view me as a failure to manhood but I pitched the porcupine in the fence row for the buzzards to chew on.
Thank goodness . I was going to suggest putting him at the edge of the woods with a sign that said " You're next " I did that with a mole one time , and the rest of the moles left .

Thank goodness . I was going to suggest putting him at the edge of the woods with a sign that said " You're next " I did that with a mole one time , and the rest of the moles left .
Hahahahaha. I actually shot a ground hog the night before.
I should go see what I can find tonight. I’m sure there is at least a cat or something out there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky