Planting Perennial Pollinators

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Re-Planting an acre of Perennial Pollinator at my farm in the next couple of weeks (waiting on rain to be in the forecast). Planted it this past May but the drought wiped it out - ugh! We already have 5 acres of native prairie plants and warm season grasses. Looking to expand on this. Spectacular blooms all summer! My fave flower is Blazing Star. Prescribed fire is a must to make this happen.

Its crazy how many species of bee's, wasps, moths, butterflies, etc. are in a field like this. You just hear a constant buzzing sound. Here are three pics of a 1/2 acre plot from different angles:

IMG_4321.JPG
IMG_4312.JPG
IMG_4323.JPG

Looks beautiful! You would think mother nature would help you out when you're trying to improve nature!

Ryan

All i'd need is a cooler of cold drinks, a comfy chair, and a little shade and that would be my happy place. Looks great!

Jim

Very cool.

I have three plants in my front yard I can't remember the name of that my neighbor gave me a few years back. They grow out long stalks full of purple flowers for most of the spring and almost all summer. Bees Bees Bees spend every moment of daylight crawling over these things, and they smell very nice. I'll snap a pic once they dry out and stand back up from the rains.

Very cool.

I have three plants in my front yard I can't remember the name of that my neighbor gave me a few years back. They grow out long stalks full of purple flowers for most of the spring and almost all summer. Bees Bees Bees spend every moment of daylight crawling over these things, and they smell very nice. I'll snap a pic once they dry out and stand back up from the rains.
Send it. I use PICTURE THIS and it does a great job identifying plants/flowers/trees.

I completely forgot about this until I saw the pics on my phone this morning looking for something else. my CRS is getting bad again.

Not a photographer so I hope this will do. I cut these back to the bottom of the main stalk every year and it doesn't take long in the spring for them to go full length and bloom these tiny purple flowers that smell oh so good. Bees galore.

20230819_082624.jpg
20230819_082642.jpg

I completely forgot about this until I saw the pics on my phone this morning looking for something else. my CRS is getting bad again.

Not a photographer so I hope this will do. I cut these back to the bottom of the main stalk every year and it doesn't take long in the spring for them to go full length and bloom these tiny purple flowers that smell oh so good. Bees galore.

View attachment 674176View attachment 674177
The PCTURE THIS app called it Russian Sage. It matched the "similar" pics as well. That's probably what it is.

Reactions: JLeonard
7th
The PCTURE THIS app called it Russian Sage. It matched the "similar" pics as well. That's probably what it is.
You nailed it! Just got a response from said neighbor. All things said I like the scent, so bees are a welcome guest.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky