Pellet burn rate for RecTec 590 Stampede

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

runway1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Socal
If you were in a typically 50-80 degree environment on the RecTec 590 Stampede, what do you expect your pellet burn rate to be if maintaining say....230°?

Thinking of buying but If I'm burning $20 in pellets for a shoulder, I may think twice. Thanks all!

My Trailblazer, obviously a bit smaller, burns about 1 pound per hour in 15-30 degree (Fahrenheit) outdoor temps with the temp set at 225. I've done two 15 hour pork butts with the same result. I hope that warmer weather will result in less pellet consumption. But, 1 pound per hour in freezing cold temps sounds great to me.

This is a great question for you and others thinking about a pellet grill.
There are other alternatives to the 20# for $20 train, like Lowe's has Pit Boss 40 pounds for $14.99 by me.
I have a sack of it myself. It's a large portion of my 147 year supply of pellets. :emoji_rolling_eyes: (Because in an AMNPS, 15 ounces last 11 hours for me. But that's smoking with electric for heat.)
Even at that, I'm quilty of buying a 20 pounder of Apple Wood because I wanted to use Apple for some Bacon. :emoji_poop:
My tastes in Smoking is refining, getting more subtle. :emoji_smirk:

Yeah, I'm sure that's a good pellet but I've been leaning toward 100% of the wood. So apple needs to be 100% apple. Hickory, etc. I use Amazen right now and their apple/mesquite are 100% of that wood. Those tend to be more pricey.

At the end, I'm thinking, there's this awesome BBQ right by me (oh, the pain), and if I'm paying $10-$15 in pellets for a shoulder/brisket/whatever, plus the cost of the meat, etc. I practically (well, close) bought a full retail tray of BBQ at the joint down the street.

Although, lots of other benefits from have you're owm, and I do love to smoke so....I'll get it anyway. Just wanted an idea of the cost

I guess I should ask - what are the cheapest 100% of the wood pellets?

That was why I paid $20 for 20#. It said 100% of Apple Wood. I wish I could remember the brand name it was under, but it was one of the major brands.
Another possibility could be Lumberjack.
Not available near enough by me without ordering.
If you find it necessary to Order In, I'd recommend Ebay as one option.

My Ace-In-The-Hole was when I used my Jointer, and made my own Oak "sawdust". I hooked up my clean shop vac and collected the shavings from Oak lumber I intentionally milled for my AMNPS.
It isn't pellets, but by golly, it is 100% clean Oak Mini curls.

I have an inherent distrust with Pellets. Nobody is watching them. So who really knows what is mixed it them?

Many here trust Todd to deliver the highest quality Pellets. So you might want to stick with Todd because you already have experience with his.

I get my Lumberjack pellets at a store called Rural King in Ohio. $9 for a 20 pound bag. They also ship. I recommend checking them out.

I guess I should ask - what are the cheapest 100% of the wood pellets?

You can do a group buy of Lumberjack from BBQPelletsOnline. They'll put a group buy together for you if there's not already one in your area. Cost to Socal should run around $0.40/lb delivered ($16/40lbs). Some of their varieties like 100% Apple, 100% Mesquite and 100% Pecan are priced a bit higher. You need to purchase 500# minimum - but that's not that much if you're running a pellet grill.

Lumberjack has some interesting blends available too. I primarily use 100% cherry or hickory, but today I ordered a bag of char hickory. It's supposed to be 20% charcoal. Curious to see if that's noticeable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky