Pastrami, 1st Attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks good. Did you steam the slices after slicing? That will make it more moist. If the slices didn't break while bending, it isn't that dry. That Rye looks great, do you need a machine to make that? We love Rye bread here, can't get great ones though. Nice work all looks good.
No, I didn't steam the slices. My first pastrami so I wasn't aware I needed to. Supper was the pastrami, smoked cheese, crackers and apple. It's still very tasty.

I have an Ankarsrum mixer I use for making my bread. A different unit, the bowl turns while the kneading bar/roller stays stationary. My KitchenAid died a few months ago after little use so I wanted something better built and with a better warranty. It was a learning curve but not hard to learn. I've been making bread for a couple years now but still learning lots. I'm the kind of person that has to know why something didn't turn out as expected so I've had the opportunity to do lots of research lol

Reactions: MJB05615
Steaming is a matter of taste and preference. I find it tenderizes and moistens the Pastrami.
We have a KitchenAid 6 Qt Heavy Duty Mixer. I wonder if that is good enough to do the Bread. It's been good with little use the last 2 years. They suggest using at least once a month to keep it fresh I guess.
I'm similar, if something does not turn out as expected, I have to find out why. Just this year I finally made an acceptable Pastrami, after 2 years of trying. Nos that I have it "dialed in" I expect the next one to be the same.

No, I didn't steam the slices. My first pastrami so I wasn't aware I needed to. Supper was the pastrami, smoked cheese, crackers and apple. It's still very tasty.

I have an Ankarsrum mixer I use for making my bread. A different unit, the bowl turns while the kneading bar/roller stays stationary. My KitchenAid died a few months ago after little use so I wanted something better built and with a better warranty. It was a learning curve but not hard to learn. I've been making bread for a couple years now but still learning lots. I'm the kind of person that has to know why something didn't turn out as expected so I've had the opportunity to do lots of research lol

If you put the vac seal pack of pastrami in the microwave to heat up, it will steam inside the bag. So u get some steam action, fast heat up, no mess in the microwave, and no dirty plate/dishes from reheat. Wins all around :D

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky