Paint bubbling and peeling around fire box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jds22

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Central IL
Hey all. I just got a pellet grill. I've done the initial burn in and then 3 cooks at temps from 250-325.
Yesterday when cleaning it out I noticed paint bubbling and peeling around the outside of the firebox.
Is this cause for concern? I did a google search and have seen it mentioned before regarding various brands.
I've emailed support and am waiting to hear back but wanted to ask around here as well.

Thanks,
Jerry

Which smoker? And by firebox do you mean the hopper?

I'd like to hold off on naming the brand since they've been great to work with so far. The brand is highly regarded on this site.

I'm new to these so I may have used the wrong term. Not the hopper but the area where the pellets are actually burning. Firepot maybe?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 66
  • thumbnail2.jpeg
    thumbnail2.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 64
Thanks folks. Spoke with support and all is well. No worries.
Now what to cook next? :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: TNJAKE
What ever it is you cook post it here!!! We wanna see what you are up to! (oh and dont worry about that paint peeling.)

Those walls are only millimeters away from a red hot crucible. Seems pretty silly to me a manufacturer tried to paint them. Wire brush the flakes as they form (when cool) and vacuum out with all that ash. I spray a thin coat of cooking oil (from the aerosol cans) on this and the crucible after each cook, especially in damp weather. It should slow down the rust and preserve the life of those parts. But crucibles don't last forever.

Those walls are only millimeters away from a red hot crucible. Seems pretty silly to me a manufacturer tried to paint them. Wire brush the flakes as they form (when cool) and vacuum out with all that ash. I spray a thin coat of cooking oil (from the aerosol cans) on this and the crucible after each cook, especially in damp weather. It should slow down the rust and preserve the life of those parts. But crucibles don't last forever.

Thanks for the reply and tips. I'll be sure to do that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky