Overnight wrapping?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skinnerc06

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hey everyone. I was wondering, in your experience is there a big difference between rubbing say a slab of ribs or a butt and lettiing it sit over night, and rubbing a slab or butt say 2 hours before the smoke? Im always in a hurry and my smokes are usually last minute so i never let the rub sit on for more than about 2 or 3 hours. Some say it doesnt matter, but what do you think?

Hey Charles, I let it sit in the fridge for about 24 hours. I noticed that after, say, an hour, the rub gets wet, so I think it will penetrate the meat futher and futher as time goes by. Thats just my opinion, or theory, someone will have a better answer for you soon. Good luck.
smile.gif
Terry

I rubbed 2 slabs down one evening to cook the next evening, but things came up and didn't get to cook them for 3 days. They were the best ribs I have ever smoked bar none. But I am like u, rub them, get smoker up to temp and cook most of the time. My .02 worth.

I have done the same ,Shortone. I usually rub them down put them in the fridge. Then go out get the cooker ready. I gather up my cooking utensils them oil my cooking grates down. Then get them out and let them sit 30 minutes on the counter and it still makes a thick bark when it is done.

I generally try to rub the day before and wrap, overnight in the "refreshment center" (the black fridge with "something cool to drink" in it in the garage). But I also rub right before smoking, as I did last Monday with 2 slabs of spares, they turned out tasty and fine.
I do feel rubbing and wrapping, then giving the meat the long resting time before smoking, produces the best flavor. Butts seem to take very well to that treatment.
biggrin.gif

i have done both.... i personally dont have a preference

But i have also rubbed them lightly the night b4 and then given them another quick rub just b4 i put them in to be cooked

I always rub the day before the smoke, along with a yellow mustard slathering, and let them sit in the fridge overnight.

The butts can handle a day or two easy. As for the ribs, it depends on the salt content of your rub. If it is very salty overnight is generally discouraged since it usually makes the ribs "hammy" tasting, if it is not too salty then overnight (or longer) fine.

Well, I've done both as well. But here is my take on it. I usually try to let them sit overnight in the fridge, because the longer it's on them prior to cooking the "deeper" the seasoning will go. With that said, it is also dependent on how thick the meat is, as a slab of ribs will be thinner than say a but or London broil. Also, be careful on the salt content because it will intensify on longer sitting times as it mixes with the juices, them when cooked the juices can steam out which causes it to intensify. Kinda like if you boil down salt water.
Also, be careful if you marinade (I know this was not your original question), because some marinade are acidic and will actually start to cook the meat, this is especially true with fish.
Now...Did I succeed in confusing you enough?
biggrin.gif

Good test for your rub of choice is to take two racks, rub one the night before and rub the other the hour before, cook them and note the differences...........if there are any.

Sounds good. Thanks for all the info. I will expiriment with the same rub on two seperate slabs. One overnight, and one say for about an hour or two. This should settle my dispute. thanks again and i'l llet yall know.

I usually rub about a day or a day and a half b4 smoking. It adds to the taste and the tenderness.

I think you get that hammy texture when rubbed too early, i never rub more than an hour prior to putting on the smoker and the meat at room temp. If your not getting penitration from your rub, maybe its missing some thing.
Don't the pores of meat somewhat close on cold meat?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky