Oven Temp For Overnight Finishing PP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Merc Dr.

Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
I want to start my smoke the night before so I don't have to wake up so early to have it done by 5pm. I have a NG cabinet smoker with a water pan. I can't leave the PP in overnight cuz I'll run out of water. My plan was to do the 4-5 hour smoke the day before then move to the oven overnight. I don't want it to finish and start overcooking before I wake. Should I lower temp to like 180 in the oven then bump it back up when I'm awake? Would it make a difference if I put it back in the smoker the next morning at normal 225-240 temp?

Yes, I tried searching but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Not sure how I would handle this. Someone will chime in with better advice. I think if I were in your situation I would cook the butt overnight in a crock pot on low. Then in the morning pop it in the smoker.

Just my first thoughts.

Chris

I would run it in your smoker your 4-5 hours, then put it in the oven at 190 degrees and get a good nights sleep. When I got up I would bump the oven up to 225 and finish it off. Wrap and rest till it was time to pull and eat. I am sure others will have better advice but that's how I would handle it.

I’ve done pretty close to the way greg described and it’s worked for me. Didn’t use the oven just lowered my smoker temp to 185 degrees so I wouldn’t over do it while I caught a few hours of sleep. Smoker just acted as an oven for a few hours. I’ve done it a half dozen times or more and it always comes out great!

Good luck
Scott

I think it’s tough to estimate what the result/cooking time will be by lowering the oven temp to 180. . .you may not get through the stall at that temp. And if you already have, then you’re really just holding it all night long. I try not to mess with tried and true methods. For my overnight cooks, I set an alarm for the middle of the night so I can add water and get a quick check on things, then right back to bed. But your pork butt will be done by morning. . .

Smoke the butts at 225+ to an IT of 165° , about 5-6 hours. Time to wrap the meat. You can then set the oven to a measured accurate 200°F. This is close enough to the the finished IT by government standards. At this point you can figure 2 hours per pound of the largest butt to get them done and some sleep. Totally safe and they will not dry out...JJ

I want to start my smoke the night before so I don't have to wake up so early to have it done by 5pm. I have a NG cabinet smoker with a water pan. I can't leave the PP in overnight cuz I'll run out of water. My plan was to do the 4-5 hour smoke the day before then move to the oven overnight. I don't want it to finish and start overcooking before I wake. Should I lower temp to like 180 in the oven then bump it back up when I'm awake? Would it make a difference if I put it back in the smoker the next morning at normal 225-240 temp?

Yes, I tried searching but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.
I am dealing with this issue myself. I have a 9 lb butt for pulled pork. I am trying to determine if i can just put it in the smoker around 10pm, wake up at 5/6am and check on it, perhaps wrap at that time, and bring it up to temperature to be done around noon tomorrow.

haven't really heard too much back yet. i am also considering splitting the butt in half and smoking two halves starting tomorrow am.

i don't need to have it wrapped and in the cooler to rest until 3pm.

It's an 8lb butt. From everyone's response, it sounds like what I was thinking.
Jimmy, you said 2hrs/pnd after cooking for the initial 5-6 hours? Or did you mean total? I guess I could see that if I left it at 200, but I'll probably bump it back up in the morning.
Scott, that was my other thought. I figured if the temp was lowered I wouldn't boil the water out as fast.

I guess I could go out and just try to find a deeper pan for the water. That sounds like it would make too much sense.

On average, a butt at 225 will take 2 hours per pound, unwrapped, start to finish. Some get done 2 hours early somr go 2 hours long.
Smoke to 165 and reduce the heat to 200 and you are effectively restarting the 2 hour per clock as it takes longer when the smokertemp is the same as the finished IT.
A 9 pound butt at 225 started at 10 pm, it should hit an IT of 205 around 2-3 pm the next day. Rest if you wish but it should be ready to pull. Wrapping at 150-160 will save an hour or two...JJ

In the interest of time management, could one do the smoking step, (6+/- hrs) then place the meat in the fridge until the next day, and then finish off the tenderizing to 203 degrees step (another 6 hours +/-) the following day?

As long as you get the meat to an IT of 150+ on day one, you can refer and finish on day 2. There is no need to smoke further, unless you wish too. Finish in a 325 oven, about 1 hour per pound, for a great bark. If you want more smoke, CO back in the smoker at 225, 2 hours per pound, or go higher to finish faster. Every 50° higher saves 30 minutes per pound...JJ

As long as you get the meat to an IT of 150+ on day one, you can refer and finish on day 2. There is no need to smoke further, unless you wish too. Finish in a 325 oven, about 1 hour per pound, for a great bark. If you want more smoke, CO back in the smoker at 225, 2 hours per pound, or go higher to finish faster. Every 50° higher saves 30 minutes per pound...JJ
Thanks, great info.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky