Our Son's Birthday.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
.....is today, May 27. He called and said he was coming in town and wanted me to cook him, of all things, pot roast. He said he hadn't had it in a while and was craving it so here I go.

I just happen to have a couple of 3 lb. chuck roasts in the freezer and my first thought was traditional pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions in the oven. But what fun would that be? This is a smoking meats forum and I like to smoke meat so....

I decided to do one sort of traditional and one smoked. Both have salt & pepper, but the one on the right has a rub on it, as well.
thumbnail (1).jpg

Here's the rest of the story.
thumbnail (4).jpg

Can't just smoke the roast, so potatoes, carrots, onions, and mushrooms all coated in EVOO, salt & pepper, and a little garlic powder.
thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

I dusted off my old Oklahoma Joe for probably one last cook until I put it out to pasture (actually, I just got lazy and it was easier to uncover the Oklahoma Joe than it is the new Copperhead smoker). Got some cherry and white oak burning and the whole "pot roast" went on at about 225℉.
thumbnail (5).jpg

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, I browned the other roast in EVOO until sort of crusty in my "good" Copper Chef roasting pan.
thumbnail (10).jpg

Removed the roast and then in go the other things to get a little crusty.
thumbnail (9).jpg

Remove all the vegetables and the roast goes back in with some unsalted beef stock to simmer until tender.
20210527_151859.jpg

Meanwhile, back to the smoker. After about 1 1/2 hours, the roast is up to 145℉ and the veggies are getting some color, but not tender yet. Soon time to wrap the roast.
20210527_153522.jpg

Wrapped the roast at 160℉ I.T. with a little unsalted beef stock added in. Carrots put in the pan with the mushrooms.
20210527_164605.jpg

Meanwhile, back to the stove. I added all the veggies to the pan for all to get happy and tender. Started a pot of rice for those who like rice and "pot liquor".
20210527_165006.jpg

Well, everything is done. Time to slice the meat. Traditional roast and the smoked roast. The traditional roast was noticeably more tender, but both were edible.
thumbnail (12).jpg
thumbnail (14).jpg

A plate of each.
thumbnail (15).jpg
thumbnail (16).jpg

Afterthoughts are that my smoked carrots were not any good at all, at least the way I tried to cook them. I'm not happy with them at all. The smoked potatoes were just OK. The mushrooms, onions, and meat were much more palatable. Overall, the regular pot roast was where it was at. I tried something different and somewhat/mostly failed. Live and learn, but not deterred from trying something new again, or at least a different technique.....

Happy Birthday, son.....

Hope you Son enjohed his birthday. You gave smoking most of the ingredients a shot and learned something new. I used to stick a therm probe though a small potato in my smoker. Tried eating the Smoked Spud one time and did not care for the flavor. I smoke Meat for flavoring in braised and stewed dish but that's it. I found trying to smoke bulk of the ingredients was overpowering.
When my oldest comes to visit, she requests Pot Roast as well. She will turn 30 this Aug. Dang time flew by!...JJ

.....is today, May 27. He called and said he was coming in town and wanted me to cook him, of all things, pot roast. He said he hadn't had it in a while and was craving it so here I go.

I just happen to have a couple of 3 lb. chuck roasts in the freezer and my first thought was traditional pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions in the oven. But what fun would that be? This is a smoking meats forum and I like to smoke meat so....

I decided to do one sort of traditional and one smoked. Both have salt & pepper, but the one on the right has a rub on it, as well.
View attachment 497855

Here's the rest of the story.
View attachment 497858

Can't just smoke the roast, so potatoes, carrots, onions, and mushrooms all coated in EVOO, salt & pepper, and a little garlic powder.
View attachment 497859
View attachment 497860

I dusted off my old Oklahoma Joe for probably one last cook until I put it out to pasture (actually, I just got lazy and it was easier to uncover the Oklahoma Joe than it is the new Copperhead smoker). Got some cherry and white oak burning and the whole "pot roast" went on at about 225℉.
View attachment 497861

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, I browned the other roast in EVOO until sort of crusty in my "good" Copper Chef roasting pan.
View attachment 497862

Removed the roast and then in go the other things to get a little crusty.
View attachment 497863

Remove all the vegetables and the roast goes back in with some unsalted beef stock to simmer until tender.
View attachment 497864

Meanwhile, back to the smoker. After about 1 1/2 hours, the roast is up to 145℉ and the veggies are getting some color, but not tender yet. Soon time to wrap the roast.
View attachment 497865

Wrapped the roast at 160℉ I.T. with a little unsalted beef stock added in. Carrots put in the pan with the mushrooms.
View attachment 497875

Meanwhile, back to the stove. I added all the veggies to the pan for all to get happy and tender. Started a pot of rice for those who like rice and "pot liquor".
View attachment 497876

Well, everything is done. Time to slice the meat. Traditional roast and the smoked roast. The traditional roast was noticeably more tender, but both were edible.
View attachment 497880 View attachment 497881

A plate of each.
View attachment 497882 View attachment 497883

Afterthoughts are that my smoked carrots were not any good at all, at least the way I tried to cook them. I'm not happy with them at all. The smoked potatoes were just OK. The mushrooms, onions, and meat were much more palatable. Overall, the regular pot roast was where it was at. I tried something different and somewhat/mostly failed. Live and learn, but not deterred from trying something new again, or at least a different technique.....

Happy Birthday, son.....
What a great Dad! Birthday memories....you tried something different and it didn’t work out for your liking.....it’s life . You said it before....trial and error. However, the roasts look good from where I am at!
LIKE!

Man that looks good. A few years back I got a crock pot recipe off an a1 bottle. It was pretty much throw the pot roast in the slow cooker with whatever you wanted and dump in a bottle of a1 and it’s pretty amazing. I’ve never smoked one but this makes me want to. Hope he enjoyed his bday

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Chef, We are our own worst critic, are we not?

I keep thinking of doing a pot roast (I always use a chuck roast) in the smoker for the 1st couple of hours @225 to get a little smoke on it then finish it in a 285 oven for the last 2 hours when I add the vittles to the liquid in the dutch oven with the lid on.

Do you think that would work?

Regardless your pics look dang tasty!

There was only one way to find out! Hope your son enjoyed the meal! And had a happy birthday! Was my son's birthday today also, just turned 22. So happy birthday to your son!

Ryan

Hope you Son enjohed his birthday. You gave smoking most of the ingredients a shot and learned something new. I used to stick a therm probe though a small potato in my smoker. Tried eating the Smoked Spud one time and did not care for the flavor. I smoke Meat for flavoring in braised and stewed dish but that's it. I found trying to smoke bulk of the ingredients was overpowering.
When my oldest comes to visit, she requests Pot Roast as well. She will turn 30 this Aug. Dang time flew by!...JJ
Yes, the smoke was very overpowering, especially on the carrots.
There was only one way to find out! Hope your son enjoyed the meal! And had a happy birthday! Was my son's birthday today also, just turned 22. So happy birthday to your son!

Ryan
I hope your son had a happy birthday, as well. Our son turned 34.

Looks good from my screen.

Point for sure
Chris

looks tasty, to bad ya weren't satisfied with the smoked meal, at least you had a back up. i'm sure your son enjoyed his birthday dinner.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
looks tasty, to bad ya weren't satisfied with the smoked meal, at least you had a back up. i'm sure your son enjoyed his birthday dinner.
Thanks Jim. The smoked chuck roast was OK, the veggies were not. I won't be doing them again. I wasn't sure how'd they turn out, that's why I had the back up meal. Besides, my son loves the roast so he took all the leftover meat home with him.

Both dishes look absolutely delicious! Happy Birthday to your son! You are great dad! You didn't like it for 100%? You know, sometimes we get a little too self critical... but people around like what you cooked a lot. I, myself, always looking for the perfection when I cook - not always happy with the result though... You did a great job and I like it!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky