Opinions please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pcpro215

Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Sheboygan, WI.
Eventually, when I get enough $$$, I plan on purchasing an offset barrel type smoker.  I am not going to get one of those inexpensive ones.  Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just don't want one.  Anyway... while browsing, I came across http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAT-Offset-...310&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=221138498625&

I was curious as to what those that use barrel smokers think of this reverse flow type of smoker?  The main advantage I can see would be a more even distribution of heat due to the reverse flow.  Or, am I way off base here and just falling for the sales pitch?

Thanks.

pcpro215

edit:  sorry about the link.  I guess this forum doesn't allow the use of BB code.

Last edited:
Now to disclose I don't have a reverse flow though I have researched it and maybe I slept at a holiday inn express last night.  One of the main things I understand about reverse flow is the advantage that it forces all of the smoke to circulate through more evenly.  As for heat retention I am not sure.  I think it would keep it pretty even.

NickyB

The reverse flow is no gimmick. It does a great job of evening out temps across the smoke chamber. That pit seems pretty nice and if the ceramic coating on the fire box will not flake, should last many years. Seems like a good price and competitive with similar American made pits of its size...JJ

BTW...Please add your location to your profile. It helps us help you.

Last edited:
Pro, hello. Welcome to the Family.

I have one of each type :

The little one is RF and the big one is Baffled and Plated. Both do a superb job and a dream to operate.

I like the way the one you showed looks, and the Porcelain holds up.  However, IMHO ,Horizon(at Bass Pro) is le$$ expen$ive , is heavy metal and would last as a Willed Property to the G-Kids.

Have fun and as always . . .

Thanx for the input, guys!  I appreciate it.  For now, tho, I think I'll stick with my Brinkman.  It works, and it's paid for.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky