ontario smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmoore

Original poster
May 29, 2012
Midland, Ont, Canada
So here it goes.... My buddy orderd some smoked wings from a restaurant in Bracebridge Ont about five years ago that were the best wings we had ever had. From that day I decided I was going to make some like thwt. I had a 50 gallon barrel on a stand that I had used to cook a pig but was a bit to short for the 55lber (we had to cut 4inches off its nose lol). So one day with zero research on how these work I started turning it into a smoker with what I had around. I used a propane tank for the fire box and made a bracket to hold a dish of chips over the charcoal. I have smoked back ribs and wings primarily but tried brisket and shoulders a few times with not the greatest sucess. Recently at a party I was told of this site and have been on a mission to get what I have to work a little better, temps are hard to maintain. I have no stack now at all, I just vent out the side where the rotisserie goes. So I am adding a stack and putting a reverse flow plate in this BBQ. This is the only BBQ I have so I use it as a grill a lot also.
I have volunteered to roast a pig 80lber for my friends family function in August so that is my motivation to start the next smoker. Going to the scrap yard to look for a tank this weekend.
Btw I am from Midland Ont Canada and thanks in advance for all the help!

welcome1.gif
 to SMF!!! You are in the right place!! There are a lot of great people here who love to share their experiences and a lot who have built their own smokers. I'm sure you can get a lot of good advise on your new build and even getting your current one working right for you.

Would you do us a favor and update your profile to include your location so we all know where you are from, Thanks!!!

Hello BMoore and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - glad you joined in - love to see your rig. Just know that when you post the pic it will have to be approved by a MOD until you have around 20 posts 

Hello! Welcome to SMF! Sounds like you are well on your way to being addicted to smoked goodies!

There's lots of info on builds, recipes and helpful folks, not to mention the search bar at the top of the page.

Glad to have you with us!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky