Only Funny Because It's True!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There is a lot of that going on.

Wish my boss would take a page out of this book. We just got word he wants us back in the office full time next week. This is the third time he has attempted it and every time it goes back to remote work after a couple of weeks. When gas is pushing $5 a gallon and employees are happier and more motivated to do good work not having to drive it every day it makes a big difference.

Reactions: 912smoker
Wish my boss would take a page out of this book. We just got word he wants us back in the office full time next week. This is the third time he has attempted it and every time it goes back to remote work after a couple of weeks. When gas is pushing $5 a gallon and employees are happier and more motivated to do good work not having to drive it every day it makes a big difference.
And they are getting more work out of good employees, the only negative is there seems to be no time restrictions. My wife gets meeting requests from 7 am till 7 pm sometimes. They are getting more time out of her than it was commuting. She does not mind, if she wants to go for a walk in the middle of the day she does. We want to head to the PA house, she takes calls in the car and works from up there total flexibility.

Reactions: Fueling Around
It seems there is a lot of that friction happening, even here where I work with the Gov. One report I read noted that there is a significant trend in resignation from GS jobs that require 100% in office time to take a demotion and pay reduction for a job where Telework is allowed. My friends the corporate/business world are seeing that shift as well. With the labor shortage it may become a key factor in businesses that stay afloat. Adapt or die. If Gas is staying that high for the foreseeable future, it really makes it more than just a nice to have for some.

And they are getting more work out of good employees,
If Gas is staying that high for the foreseeable future, it really makes it more than just a nice to have for some.

Exactly. I have worked in the corporate world since I got out of college in 2008. Absolutely love working from home now. I can pick my kids of up school, spend more time with my family instead of commuting, run to the grocery on my lunch break, fire up the smoker in the middle of the week, no junk fast food for a quick lunch, etc... I don't have constant distraction from fellow employees and I am more motivated to do better for my company. The numbers and statistics prove it works. I don't get why any employer would want people to go back to the office having to spend a fortune in gas and have a bunch of unhappy employees.

Diesel at Sam's Club here is $4.75 a gallon, up a buck and a half in a month, crazy! RAY

Exactly. I have worked in the corporate world since I got out of college in 2008. Absolutely love working from home now. I can pick my kids of up school, spend more time with my family instead of commuting, run to the grocery on my lunch break, fire up the smoker in the middle of the week, no junk fast food for a quick lunch, etc... I don't have constant distraction from fellow employees and I am more motivated to do better for my company. The numbers and statistics prove it works. I don't get why any employer would want people to go back to the office having to spend a fortune in gas and have a bunch of unhappy employees.
Yes, lost 35 lbs since covid hit, part of that was to get in better shape (type 2) but also the temptation for junk lunches was not there. Wife saves a bunch too, no more buying coffee or sushi for lunch...lol We are able to plan our meals and not get home at 6.30 and say what's for dinner?

The only people that want back in the office is either the older generation of management or the younger ones that want social interaction.

Ain't that just the truth, Jake?? My little light decided to shine for me the other day--just as I pulled off the highway and up to the pump. Had to take out a 2nd mortgage to fill my 3/4 ton 4x4. :emoji_sleepy::emoji_sleepy:
Gary
People thought inflation was rough. We haven't seen anything yet. Ground beef was $2.99lb 10 days ago here. Just picked some up for $7.99lb

People thought inflation was rough. We haven't seen anything yet. Ground beef was $2.99lb 10 days ago here. Just picked some up for $7.99lb
Yikes. I bet a good chunk of that is in transportation (fuel) costs, steers to market, then distribution to the stores. Not going into ranchers pockets. And this sounds weird... but as meat prices go up, they have to factor in more money for waste since some consumers won't pay that price. I saw several items in Sam's Club "Prime meat case" that had serious markdowns as they were close to expiring.

Gasoline is tricky to price when the market is all over the board. Roughly 50% of the total price of regular gasoline is the price of crude oil. The remainder of the costs are: 20% goes to distribution and marketing, 12% to 15% go to refining, and federal and state taxes, suck up another 12%.

I filled up both trucks and the car a couple weeks ago . Not really sure what it's up to here .

Ground beef was $2.99lb 10 days ago here. Just picked some up for $7.99lb
I've been grinding my own since it went up last time . Check the price on brisket and get to grinding . I've also been mixing in some pork butt with the beef .

Reactions: TNJAKE
Up to $4.37 a gallon here today and over $5 for premium. Everything that comes to mind is political and I know we aren't here to debate politics so I will keep it to myself but just bracing for things to get worse over the next few months.

Kroger's has choice packer briskets for $2.99 a lb here. I usually account for about 3-4 pounds of waste when buying to grind but nice to have guys looking out for each other on here and advising of meat sales in these crap times!

Up to $4.37 a gallon here today and over $5 for premium. Everything that comes to mind is political and I know we aren't here to debate politics so I will keep it to myself but just bracing for things to get worse over the next few months.

Kroger's has choice packer briskets for $2.99 a lb here. I usually account for about 3-4 pounds of waste when buying to grind but nice to have guys looking out for each other on here and advising of meat sales in these crap times!
I snagged 5lb of 80-20 last week at costco...not sure what is up to now. Everything is nuts, the wife and I went to lunch at a brewery and the bill was $122.00. Now she did have 2 -$14 martinis and the IPA's are never cheap.

Reactions: TNJAKE

Things are gonna get real when I have to start choosing gas over beer.......who am I kidding.....I'll walk for beer

Things are gonna get real when I have to start choosing gas over beer.......who am I kidding.....I'll walk for beer

No kidding! I might just hitch hike and take my chances catching a ride with Buffalo Bob before I ran out of beer money. Might end up in a hole.

"You got my auto trader?"
1646862742918.png

I have decided to just retire so I don't have to fill the truck up every 4 days for the commute. The reduction in income should just about be offset by savings in gas consumption.

Yes, tomorrow is my last day. All I need to do is clean out part of the office and say goodbye to a few good people. Exit interview at 2PM.

More time for smoking, grilling & chilling!

I have decided to just retire so I don't have to fill the truck up every 4 days for the commute. The reduction in income should just about be offset by savings in gas consumption.

Glad the wife and I both work from home now.....although I did still put 27,000 miles on my car last year

Last year, since I'm retired, I decided to computer shop for groceries from Costco and Amazon... I still hit my local small grocery for perishable stuff, once a month... Keep my fridge at 34F so stuff lasts..

Buying in bulk from C and A put my pantry in a crimp...
I'm getting good quality from Costco... Prices aren't bad buying by the case...
The time I save and money on fuel are amazing...
I needed to fuel my 4x4 diesel last October... 22 gallons... I have a book in my truck where I write down everything I do to it... I looked at the note above where I was writing down this fill up... It was October of 2020.. WHAT !!! A year ago... 274 miles driven... about 3 miles to the grocery, about 10 miles to the dump, 2 trips, and maybe 14-16 trips to the grocery...
EDIT... And the many trips to the doctor...

Now that the fuel is sky high, I'm broke-in to not driving...
My knee being twisted out of shape and my broken wrist got me into not driving too much... Turned out to be a really good deal... Too bad this November, 2022, isn't evenly divisible by 4...
Plan your trips, cut driving down to 1 day per week to start, then what ever works out best for you... It can be done... Social life goes to heck...
OH !!! Butt-A-Judge says you should purchase a $60,000 Tesla to ease the pain...
That's all folks... Have a good day...

Dave...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky