Okay guys lighter fluid or not

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No liter fluid for me,ever. The chimney is the only way to go if your using charcoal.

lighter fluid? no no no!!! like most people said, a chimney starter w/newspaper etc. works great. when I had my stickburner I used a propane log lighter, even a disposable propane torch works. once I was away from home and they had lighter fluid, I put charcoal on the kitchen stove burners, they were'nt home. but I'd do anything to not use lighter fluid.

thats what I do..

do they even print newspapers anymore../
icon_wink.gif

Never ever do this!

The amount of Carbon Monoxide given off by charcoal is incredible. This will kill you dead. Carbon monoxide is a covalent bond so going out in the fresh air may keep you alive, but the damage to the red blood cells is already done, 55 days for the body to replace those cells with working cells.

Never ever start charcoal in any enclosed area.

For lighting my drum the weed burner works great by me.

Your right on about the C O poisoning. Carbon monoxide is accumulative in your blood and does take weeks to be cleansed out.We do allot of ice fishing around here and guys will complain of head aches from their heat source .Many people think you can "go out for some fresh air" but next time in the fish house your adding more Carbon monoxide to your blood. Two days later more and so on.
Years ago they use to thaw frozen ground with coal and sheets of corrugated steel (probably galvanized) and when that was going for days you couldn't get with in 25' of it because there was no air ,just like being under water.Bill

myron is lighter fluid king!!!!!!!!1
no thanks !!!!!!!!!!
im a watt burner no need for fluid.
i use a chimney when grilling with lump and news papper.
i dont like the ash off the papper either.
thanks for the papper towel idea will try it next time.

i use a charcoal chimney i light it on the side burner of my gas grill or my propane coleman stove or my fish fryer, no ash. if your going to buy one go ahead and get the big weber model instead of a cheap one. my handle keeps coming apart on my bargain brand.

First, the rig Myron is cooking with & the way & the amount of food he is cooking is a lot different from us backyard folks.

From what I saw, he was use the fluide to create a quick, hot base fire. He's got a huge rig to heat plus all that water in the water pan. I also recall that he is cooking a lot of his competition meat at 350 instead of 250. You can bet he ain't putting no meat on until that charcoal base fire is fully burning & all the fluid fumes are gone. Once he has that hot base fire, he can burn wood to maintain heat & produce flavor.

This is funny...I don't understand people thinking petroleum is still going to be present in white hot coals...I my self use 2 chimney's but that is because I am to cheap to buy starter fluid. If I had it i wouldn't have a problem using it. There are a LOT worst products going in to your system then left over lighter fluid in your charcoals.

it was lump,and I just got it started on the edges ,put in pan then outdoors to the grill. had to fan it but got it going without lighter fluid!

I am supprised that they even still sell lighter fluid. I still know folks that use it and even after the coals are all white with ash I can still smell residual (sp) fuel if not from the charcoal directly then the surounding ash and cooking chamber.

I use a charcoal chimney and have three or four scattered about. I make a little fire starter instead of newspaper. The fire starter is acoustical ceiling tile cut into 2" squares and then soaked in wax. The fire starters are pretty much waterproof and great for camping. I just fluff one corner of the square, light it and set a chimney full of charcoal over it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky