OK TRI TIP WANNA be is DONE! (part 2)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Here is the first thread that I started when I got this piece of meat & was asking for help identifying it. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/ever-seen-a-tri-tip-like-this.291978/
Well I have to say it turned out much better than expected. I thought it may end up as turtle food. But after a 2 hour smoke to bring the IT up to 128 I bagged it with some butter & lemon slices. Set the SV at 131 & ran it for 22 hours. I cooled it down & then put it in the freezer for about 1 hour to really firm it up. Got the slicer out & just shaved the meat across the grain. I have to say I was really impressed with the tenderness & juiciness of this meat. Now I don't know how to ask the butcher to cut me another piece like that. The meat just melted in your mouth. Here is a few photos of the process.
It sat in the fridge all night.
1.jpg

Then into the smoker with hickory & mesquite.

2.jpg
3.jpg

Took 2 hours to hit 128 & I pulled it out.

4.jpg

Then into a vac bag with some butter & lemon slices.

5.jpg

22 hours at 131 and shes done.

6.jpg

Out of the bag & cool it down then into the freezer for an hour to make it easier to slice. You can see how the grain is running, so I just shaved it cross grain.

8.jpg

I was really surprised how tender & juicy this piece of meat was.

9.jpg

Piled it on a bun with some mayo & lettuce & it was wonderful.

10.jpg

A couple of homemade pickles topped it off!

11.jpg

I cut it in half & Judy & I each had a half.

12.jpg

I honestly thought i would have to give this to the turtles & fish in my backyard, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was one of the best, if not the best roast beef sammie I have had. Now I have to find out where the hell he cut this from!
Thanks for looking fellas!
Al

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 9
Al Great job on that cook,the slices look fantastic some serious knife skills. Points
Richie

That looks like it turned out great Al! I would say I need to give that a try but seeing as I don't know what cut of meat that is might be kind of hard! Usually I use eye of rounds for RB. Let us know if you talk to the butcher and find out!

John

Looks Awesome, Al !!
Ahhhh--The Sammies the Bear could Love!!!
Like.

BTW: I told you in your first post to take the Pic below to that Butcher & tell him you want more!!!! V V V V V

Bear
IMG_0566.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's a good looking sammie AL.

Point for sure
Chris

Al Great job on that cook,the slices look fantastic some serious knife skills. Points
Richie

Thanks Richie, but I cheated & used an electric slicer.
Al

It looks great and I bet it is delicious.

It does look like a sirloin roast insead of a TT.

Thank-you, I agree, but I've never seen a sirloin with the grain running like that.
Al

That looks like it turned out great Al! I would say I need to give that a try but seeing as I don't know what cut of meat that is might be kind of hard! Usually I use eye of rounds for RB. Let us know if you talk to the butcher and find out!

John

Thank you, I definitely will try to find out what it is, but he said it was a TT, so I'll have to ask him to cut it in front of me so I can see where it came from.
Al

Al,

First thing I thought seeing it sliced was darn good looking roast beef...great job

LIKE!

Please let us know what the heck cut of beef that thing was.

John

Thank you, and yes if I can find out what it was I will certainly tell you guys!
Al

That there looks marvelous! 22 hours in the SV at 131 :-O

Thank-you, it was the SV that got it so tender & juicy, I took a couple of slices off when I took it off the smoker & they were kinda tough.
Al

Looks awesome and you’re set for sandwiches for awhile!

Like!

Thank-you, yea I probably will vac pack a few packages of it for later use!
Al

Looks Awesome, Al !!
Ahhhh--The Sammies the Bear could Love!!!
Like.

BTW: I told you in your first post to take the Pic below to that Butcher & tell him you want more!!!! VVVVV

Bear
View attachment 410042

Thanks John, I will definitely do that & also watch what piece of meat he cuts it from, cause he took it out of a cryovac bag & it looked like a sirloin tip. I should have paid more attention.
Al

Now that's a good looking sammie AL.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris!!

Wow! Can you ship bout 1/2 of it to me. I’ll pay the shipping!! Looks great!

If I can figure out what the heck it was you can cook one yourself & I'm sure it will be just as good as this one!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky