OK Joe Highland reverse flow first smoke observations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
if i keep posting in the wrong sub-forum please let me know.
this is a quick review of the Oklahoma Joe Highland reverse flow smoker after my first big smoke.
IMG-2517.JPG

Please excuse minimal grammatical and punctuation snafus. Since my stroke, my typing is excruciating at best and I am relegated to using speech to text in many cases.

I will try and keep this brief as I think answering questions may be easier than trying to rewrite war and peace in one review.

Preface: I have done mods on the cooking chamber and completely sealed with gasket and clamps. The only exit points for air and smoke is the drip tube and reverse flow smokestack. After reading reviews and watching you tube videos, I figured that using gasket on the firebox was futile, but welcome thoughts after reading this review.

So: if I could look back and had it to do over again, would I still buy this smoker? By all means.!!!

Here’s a synopsis of the first smoke: 9- pound bone in Boston butt, and one 4-pound pork belly.

So let’s address the elephant in the room: IMHO the firebox on this smoker is crap, and a wood sucking pig. (Very small, as is the basket included to use wood splits.)

I typically use a chimney of charcoal briquettes and let it burn to embers, then add wood for smoke. For this 11th hour smoke I used a nearly half a bag of kingsford, and half a bag of shitty “Blowes” apple and hickory chunks.

If you are lucky enough to live in the country and have access to good wood sources, God bless you. I am relegated to department store which sucks at best. (Ft Lauderdale)

Back to the review; once the smoker gets to temp, I held it without much messing at between 215°and 245°measured with a probe on a grate clip. (thermopo)

The smoker Holds pretty close to a perfect for me smoking temperature with the firebox door grate about ¼ open.

The final product was fantastic, a beautiful pork butt with bark to die for. I am still kicking myself in the ass for not snapping a picture of the final product, but I had a patio full of starving people and was busy making pork belly tacos to hold them over during the rest period

So maybe it’s just me, and I am open to criticism, but close to $30.00 of briquettes and hickory and apple chunks seems excessive for this cook, but I achieved a beautiful smoke ring and bark .

I guess there’s still a learning curve. Next up, St Louis ribs, which I typically made in my electric with a 3-2-1 method.

So maybe it’s just me, and I am open to criticism, but close to $30.00 of briquettes and hickory and apple chunks seems excessive for this cook, but I achieved a beautiful smoke ring and bark .
Try to use full size sticks, I usually use lump to start and have a nice coal bed then feed it sticks to continue the cook. You use a lot of fuel but shouldn't be that much. I can get a bag of lump a bag of wood splits and only use a chimney of lump and I may use the whole bag of sticks for my burn. This food looks great!!

Reactions: JJS
Try to use full size sticks, I usually use lump to start and have a nice coal bed then feed it sticks to continue the cook. You use a lot of fuel but shouldn't be that much. I can get a bag of lump a bag of wood splits and only use a chimney of lump and I may use the whole bag of sticks for my burn. This food looks great!!
THANK YOU. SOMETIMeS HOME EPOT HAS HICKORY MINI LOGS. i prefer apple but that is a no-go in S Florida.

Reactions: tag0401
I live in a big city...i get my fuel (wood) from a craiglist-like classifieds platform. You dont need a lot or charcoal...just to get the sticks going.

For wood check Craig's List, local newspaper classifieds, tree trimmers, and lawn care/landscape companies. If you have any orchards nearby check for trimmings. Almost any edible fruit bearing fruitwood, or edible nut producing wood should work. Even ornamental, non bearing, versions of wood will work. I.E. Bradford Pear, and Cherry.

You can Google BBQ woods to get a better idea of what will work although I've never seen a complete authoritative listing.

Reactions: fxsales1959
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky